Seller agreed to send me a replacement, but wants me to cancel case first?

I have purchased a new electronic item which I suspect is not authentic, and upon receipt, the item does not work. The seller has agreed to send a replacement, but insists he cant, until the case is closed

I cant leave feedback, pos or neg, as the item has dissapeared of "My eBay purchases"

Is this eBay policy, or is the seller telling me untruths?

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, No i didnt originally. I just did a search under item number and there is no option for completed. I then did a search with items in stores with completed listing, and still no results

Just an update: That was quick, just received an email from eBay saying case is now closed and a refund has been issued to my paypal account. I only asked them to step in a short time ago

Well done eBay!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Total nonsense 

I don't suppose the seller is registered in China by any chance?

Hugely common trick

As for the item dissapearing, are you sure? have you changed the time period in the drop down box to cover the timeframe when it was purchased?

If it is totally gone, it would be more than likely because eBay removed it due to the seller doing the dirty, but in the case, you should have had an email from eBay notifying you

Personally, I would be wanting a refund, not a replacement as you do not know if the next one they send *IF* they do actually send a replacement (and it is a big if) it is more than likely to be another fake that does not work

Especially being electronic, far too risky,especially considering the seller has been less than honest with you at least twice so far

If they do not agree to refunding you in full, report it as an item not as described case

I also suspect the seller's feedback shows a long history of a similar thing with other buyers and numerous red dots for neg feedback?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

There is an element of truth to what the seller is saying - as a seller, I will never send replacements for anything if there is a case open, because there is no official option for providing a replacement, and doing so puts the seller's account at risk. (However, I do not ask the buyer to close the case, I resolve it and advise they can either re-purchase the item, and / or that if something similar happens and they prefer replacements in the future, to contact me directly rather than open a case, which remains an available option if things go awry. Occasionally a buyer will actually opt to close the case themselves, in which case yes I am then happy to send a replacement).

Basically, a seller saying they will only provide a resolution if you close a case puts more of the risk back on to the buyer, and becomes a red flag (unless you have reason to trust the seller without question. You do still have the option of a PayPal claim, but that can be less than ideal if it's an item not as described case, especially if the seller is located overseas). 

In situations like this, the best thing to do is work through the case to a resolution for that particular order, and then if you still want the item, purchase it again. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

As suggested change the option at the top in purchase history from last 60 days to 2018.

You have 60 days to leave feedback.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for all your replies. I noticed the other day that the purchase I made of this item is definatly no longer under 2019 in hidden or visable. There is no placeholder there for it either, so I assumed as soon as you log a case against it, it does dissapear.

The item number is no longer listed when you search at https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=4 either

Under my messages, Request to return email, my original listing is still there, but no longer clickable.

I have passed it on to eBay to step in and help

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Good luck with it

Just wondering , if when you searched via that link if you checked under 'completed listings' too (just in case)

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hi there, No i didnt originally. I just did a search under item number and there is no option for completed. I then did a search with items in stores with completed listing, and still no results

Just an update: That was quick, just received an email from eBay saying case is now closed and a refund has been issued to my paypal account. I only asked them to step in a short time ago

Well done eBay!

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

If the listing has completely disappeared it means that ebay has removed it.

That would also be the reason the for fast refund.

Have a look and see if the seller is still registered.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi there,

Yes seller is still registered but the item I bought is no longer listed in thier store

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply