Seller asked me to pay more money for postage after he posted it to my home

Hello. I just bought a limited edition controller on eBay. He didn't give me the track number after he mentions it's shipped already. I told him that I'll report the eBay if he doesn't gives me the track number since I'm not sure that I trust him because of his account is new and no stars. Just zero.

He just finally gave me a track number in a few days later. He asked for more pay as extra €10 something after I paid full price for both of this item and quote postage.

Should I have to pay this seller extra €10 after he posted this item already? This item should be arrives at my home today soon. Or it's his problem that I paid already that his postage quote before?

€17.90 for his quote postage (I paid it already). He asked for more €10 after he posted it as its on way to here soon.

Cheers
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

A buyer is not obligated to paying more than shown in the listing.

However new sellers are learning the ropes and sometimes make mistakes.

To threaten to report to eBay early on, I find aggressive.

Many items are sent without tracking and a little patience goes a long way.

If the item arrives as you expect, it is up to you if you offer more on postage based on how pleased you are.

Personally I often pay the extra if I can see the seller has had to pay more on postage especially if I am happy with the product.

17.90 pounds is already quite high but I don't know the size of the parcel.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No, you are not obliged to pay any more than is in the listing.

I have a feeling you got off on the wrong foot with the seller....why would you threaten to report him to ebay unless he gives you a tracking number.   He does not have to use a tracked service....what was in the listing?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@natashaq150 wrote:
Hello. I just bought a limited edition controller on eBay. He didn't give me the track number after he mentions it's shipped already. I told him that I'll report the eBay if he doesn't gives me the track number since I'm not sure that I trust him because of his account is new and no stars. Just zero.

He just finally gave me a track number in a few days later. He asked for more pay as extra €10 something after I paid full price for both of this item and quote postage.

If the seller is listing on an EU site, English may not be their first language. I suspect hassling them for a tracking number could very easily have been interpreted as demanding a tracked postage service, which can cost quite a lot more sometimes. 

In other words, the seller might have thought you were telling them to use a more expensive postage service, in which case I am not surprised they asked for the extra money. 

Postage labels can be purchased online in many countries, and if that's integrated with eBay that can automatically mark items as shipped, but it doesn't mean the package is in the hands of the postal service, so it's also plausible that as soon as you started asking for the tracking number, the seller opted to change the service for the package. Maybe they had to wait for the first label to be cancelled and refunded, who knows, maybe none of this is applicable, but in any case, as lyndal mentioned, there are millions of packages sent all over the world that aren't trackable online at all - if an eBay seller doesn't use tracking, but you want it A) there's nothing to report to eBay, and B) you need to be prepared to pay any extra it might cost. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply