Seller away until year end.

Hi all, just some advise on this one please. We purchased a musical instrument from an Aussie seller back in Dec 2016. It has developed a fault that we cannot identify, so I contacted the seller and recieved an automated reply that they are closed until the end of the year as they are overseas on an extended trip. Problem is, the 180 Paypal guarentee will expire on 13th June coming up, and we cant return the item as the seller will not respond to our issues, except for the auto reply, which doesn't help. We have a musical exam in the next couple of weeks, so will need to purchase a new instrument from a different seller, whether we can afford it or not, no choice. Don't know whether to just open a Paypal dispute or what, as that is really my only option at the moment due to the non contact. Could be difficult doing that also, because the seller is away, there may be no one at the place of business to take reciept of the faulty item. Anyone had this type of problem?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If the product is within a warranty period I would just open the case for INAD in PayPal.

But be sure to sign up for the PayPal offer of return postage covered before opening the case.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, it has 12 months warranty, which is useless with the seller being out of the country.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yep, go for it and if the seller doesn't reply to the case you should get a refund fairly quickly.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the help, just did that right now.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

It's not usually up to the retailer or seller to provide warranty. You use your invoice as proof of purchase and go through the local service agent.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Beg to differ on that one. The seller is the one who has my money, and as far as I'm concerned, they can make it good. A large hardware store tried that one on a while back, and lost. Further more, there is no ''local service agent" for this product, being a musical flute, and where we live, even more so that there is no service agent for anything, let alone a flute.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

That's the trouble when you buy online on EBay. We were going to buy a lawnmower on EBay but then thought if we have trouble with it down the track and it's supposed to be covered by warranty and as we live in a regional city it would end up costing us too much to send it away. At least if we buy from Bunnings they are very good at taking things back and either giving you another item, giving you a refund or sending off for repair. It's worth paying the extra for big items at a store rather than on EBay.
And you did the right thing in opening a dispute. Even though they are overseas they should still get the email about the dispute being opened and if they choose to ignore it that's their problem and PayPal will pay in your favour
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Audistarelectronics it depends on the product.

But a retailer, while they may be the go to place for warranty, is not necessarily required to refund or replace, simply to facilitate warranty. But the end user (buyer) is required to cover the cost of getting the item back to the warranty point or retailer and back again, this is where the system fails online purchases. That's not to say some places don't cover this but it's discretionary not required.

So you post the flute back to the eBay seller at your cost and they would then in turn send it back to their supplier for repair or replacement. Then back to them and you. It can often outweigh the purchase price. Plus if they opt to fix it and that takes 3 months then you have to wear that. I know that's extreme as an example but it can happen and there's no onus on a supplier to replace.

With an item such as an iPhone (for example) it's easier to go direct through Apple rather than all the double handling plus companies like that usually cover postage.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply