Seller cancelled my bid..... how is that ok? Now item is not available ...............

Feeling ripped off. bid on an item I really wanted. starting bid $7.50  7 days on auction. My bid was the only bid at the time. I bid way higher than the starting bid. I get an email  from ebay telling me that the seller has cancelled my bid.??? and the auction is closed.......How can that be ok?  I had a bid and was prepared to go higher.

Not happy.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Seller cancelled my bid..... how is that ok? Now item is not available ...............

Could be a few reasons for the seller to end the listing.

There might have been an problem that was not found at time of listing.

They might have been concerned it would not sell for the amount they wanted.

They might have changed their mind on selling it.

If the option is there for the seller to do this then it is ok to do.

It is better to have them do that than have you win and they refuse to send the item.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

You have not been 'ripped off'. You spent no money.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I have encountered a few sellers over the years who list their items with a starting price of 99c. When it gets to 12 hours before end, if there is only 1 bid, they will end the listing as they think they aren't going to get what they think the item is worth. It's against the rules to end a listing for that reason, but eBay doesn't do anything about it.

I know one seller in particular was doing that because I sent him a message asking why my bids were always cancelled and he said it was due to the item being worth far more than 99c and he wasn't prepared to let it sell for that. My response was, list it with a higher starting price!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply