Seller charging VAT for International Purchase

glo_pro
Community Member

Good morning,

I need some advice from fellow ebayers.

I am trying to purchase some items from Germany and have them shipped to Australia.

I have asked the seller to remove the 19% VAT as this is an international purchase and consolidate the postage (im ordering 3 of the same item), the Item price is 110 EUR. (originally $121 EUR each with offer accepted as 330 EUR with free shippuing) Shipping for a single item is 39 EUR and for 3 its charging 117EUR, and treating it as a 3 individual orders, rather than consolidating.

They had agreed by email and when I went to pay, the Paypal invoice adds shipping.

I have emailed the seller but they have not responded. They tend to only respond to first contact and not subsequent contact)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

ask them to send you an invoice direct from within paypal. That way they can remove the VAT and combione postage. If they don't reply there is not much you can do other than wait. If they want the sale they will have to change it for you, if not they can cancel the transaction.

Is it still the weekend in Germany ? maybe they don't answer on weekends.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have they specifically agreed to remove the VAT?  Not all sellers want to take the time to do the paperwork involved in removing VAT,  GST or whatever taxes are involved in international transactions.

Also has your seller agreed to give a conmbined postage discount?  I do not read German but there is no indication under the postage tab that they combine and discount.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

It is stil the weekend, but i had emailed them early last week.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

in email correspondance they had agreed to a final price of 330 EUR to accommodate the VAT removal and shipping.

I see this as: 121EURO each, less 19%VAT, brings it down to approx 100EUR each.

so 3x 100EUR plus shipping. Comes to 330EUR.

This is just my own thinking of the charges.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I can see the problem here....the seller cannot send an invoice for less than the sale price of the items.  They can only discount postage, not the item price unless it is a BIN with Best Offer and then it must go through ebay, not as a privately negotiated agreement.

You need to be careful here that the seller is not trying to deal off ebay.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, I used the Make Offer tool within ebay.

I just think the language is a barrier and either he doesnt know how to remove the postage.

He has comunicated that postage is free.  

In relation to the the VAT, whilst he hasnt specifically said he would remove it, his counter offer of 330EUR inc shipping, indicates that he has factored it in.  

I just need it to translate to the Invoice so I can pay it.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Have you tried going through Checkout again.   It is not uncommon for sellers to alter the invoice but it never shows up in your inbox but it is correct in Checkout.

Does the seller accept paypal....German sellers do not have to and many of them do not.  Your seller may be expecting you to use the amount he told you to make an international bank transfer.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

There is currently an 8 hour time shift. Monday morning is midnight in Germany. Substract 8 hours from Aussie hours. Then you have the german time.
Example: 5 pm Aussie time is 9am Germany.
During Aussie summer there is a 10 hour time shift.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply