Seller in the US says ebay has stopped the GSP and it will be back in Spring?

I've been stalking a particular US listing for ages, wanting to ask the seller to ship to Australia, but not even being able to make contact. So I made a new ebay account with a US address, linked it to a mail forwarding service address in the US, considering buying it and having it forwarded. But before I committed to the high forwarding fees, I thought I would contact the seller, explain my situation and ask if they would consider shipping it themselves.

To my surprise, they replied, were very friendly and polite and informed me that unfortunately, due to a decision by ebay, the global shipping program has temporarily been stopped, and it will be back sometime in spring. Until then, they are only able to ship domestically.

TBH I was happy  they actually replied, but then was left puzzled and not knowing what to do. Does anyone know anything about this? From what I can see, the GSP is working fine for other sellers, raking in all those high fees! 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

One of my saved searches still shows new listings using the GSP, so the seller has probably been misinformed about it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Same here.  $5.25 for something I'd really like to own....but $28.86 to post it to me using GSP.  Sigh

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I buy from the USA all the time and all the sellers i buy from are using gsp.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You do not need a US address and a mail forwarding address.....just the mail forwarding address which is liked to your Aussie address.

When you buy an item the seller only gets the mail forwarding address in the USA so as far as they are concerned they are only posting within the USA.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

If they knew you'd created a new account to bypass their blocks for sending overseas, maybe they were suspicious of you and decided to spin you a yard to get rid of you.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

That should have read yarn, not yard.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
If they knew you'd created a new account to bypass their blocks for sending overseas, maybe they were suspicious of you and decided to spin you a yarn to get rid of you.

Certainly not in those terms. Yanks think a yarn is something you make a clothe out of.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
If they knew you'd created a new account to bypass their blocks for sending overseas, maybe they were suspicious of you and decided to spin you a yard to get rid of you.

Yes, possibly, but they could have just said no, or ignored me, or even blocked me if they were really suspicious. I was actually expecting to be either ignored, or told no, so the response I got was confusing, that's all, doubly so because it's already Spring over there.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Perhaps they wanted you to think they were an idiot, or not to be trusted, in order to put you off buying from them. It wouldn't be the first time a seller has done that. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply