Seller increased postage cost after the auction ended

Hi all,

I have won an auction today and straightaway contacted seller to send me an invoice as I wanted to pay ASAP.

The seller sent me an invoice with the increased postage by $ 5.00 stating that the item ( book) is 1.3 kg ad therefore the postage is increased. By the way we live in the same city.   Is  he right to do this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

If the item had a postage cost listed there's no need to ask the seller for an Invoice . And No the seller cannot ask for more postage then what is shown in the listing .

Just pay via PayPal the amount owing ( not including the additional postage cost)

The seller should know better and make sure they list with the correct postage , if however you feel that maybe they have made a genuine error and you don't mind negotiating then perhaps you could do that but personally I wouldn't .

If it's either of the 2 books you've purchased those sellers are experienced enough to know the correct postal costs . Up to you how you follow it up in regards to feedback once you receive your book .

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

If you live in the same city a standard parcel will cost $8.65 for up to 20kg so 1.3kg shouldn't be a problem.  It might be worth asking the seller what postage method they are using, because it might make more sense why they are asking for more.  

That being said, I don't think the seller should ask more than they indicated on the listing.  Nor can they hold you to it. They should have weighed it in the first place.  As a seller who has too often underestimated postage,   I've just had to wear the cost, as it's been my fault to have underestimated, not the buyer who has bought the item!

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Just tell them that you bought the book with the total price in mind; not the total price + $5.00. What was the postage price in the listing?

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Have to ask why you wanted an invoice? Unless I have negotiated for or the listing offers a combined discount I just pay straight away using the pay now button in the email or if I am logged into Paypal I just choose to pay for ebay items.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Hi,

The reason why I asked for the invoice was me thinking that  the postage is going to be less not more given that we live in the same city. It happened to me few times where sellers charged less.

The original  postage price was $ 8.00.

It looks like the seller is agreeing to cancel the purchase.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Why would you agree to cancel the purchase. Tell the seller you're happy to pay the originally advertised postage, and that they can post within their state for a reasonable amount. No way I would agree to a cancellation. I'd report them if they wont proceed, and leave appropriate negative feedback "seller refused to send, requested more postage post sale" or similar.

Integrity is priceless.
โ€œI would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheatingโ€. Sophocles
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

No Not right Selling on ebay is a contract and what is stated as postage should what you pay You have the right to end the transaction based on the overcharging It is not your fault if the seller misquoted postage

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Why would you agree to cancel the purchase. Tell the seller you're happy to pay the originally advertised postage,

Ditto although the fault is partly yours, you had no right to assume or expect that the postage would be less than quoted unless you had contacted the seller before you purchased to ask.

Even at $8 they would bepaying more than that and they probably thought they were allowing a couple of bucks over for a packaging and handling charge. too.

Just as you had no right to get a reduction in postage the seller has no right to get more, they are only going to be out less than a dollar if they send it regular local parcel and they should suck that up and be more careful next time.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

I don't think the OP did anything wrong. They asked for an invoice in case postage was cheaper, they didn't demand cheaper post.  No wrong motive there. 

They were simply not expecting more charges.  Nor should they. The fault lies squarely with the seller here, and if the OP would rather cancel the transaction then that's their prerogative 

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply