Seller listed dress as NWOT only tried on at home, yet so obvious it is worn.

It amuses me that a seller can advertise a dress as NWOT "never worn only tried on at home", yet dress arrives with obvious signs of wear (pilling, stains, seams coming undone, discoloured from white to yellowish off white).  

I have notified seller in a very polite way to advise of my findings, hoping to resolve in same manner, regardless if I only paid $1.30 plus $7.50 postage.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

All sorted, seller accepted ebay return for full refund, seller has been ok about it all even though in denial, so feedback will be positive but with low stars.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

It doesn't amuse me, it makes me extremely piddled off. It is hard enough selling second hand clothing on ebay and it only takes a few sellers who talk up their items to the level of fantasy to have a buyer never buy a second hand item from ebay again. I make a point of understating how good the condition is then the buyer gets something better than they were expecting.

I would open a not as described claim and make sure I was specific enough about the condition, with photos, so I won and the seller had to pay for the return if they wanted the rag garment back.

I would also ding their stars and leave a neut or neg depending just how bad it was.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Agree with PJ, it discredits eBay.

There are always the few, I hope we always remember that.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Sorry, when I say amused, I am more in disbelief, surely they must know a buyer is going to see the obvious sign of dress being worn.

I sent seller an message yesterday with photos.  Haven't heard back yet, but want to give her a chance to explain, and if she will rectify.  I don't want dress, I want to send back for full refund.  If nothing heard by tomorrow, I will open case.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

It is intensely annoying. I don't have a problem with buying second hand anything but I do expect ads to honestly state the condition.

I have been left feeling quite angry a couple of times by descriptions that state something was barely worn or worn once, only to have them arrive & it is immediately obvious they are nowhere near as described.

Back in the past, I just tended to give a positive feedback as long as the item was still fairly good but nowadays for the sort of thing you described, I'd be making a claim too and they'd be getting a neg.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I don't often buy anymore, have a hard enough job selling what I have got never mind increasing the size of the mountain, when I did sell in large quantities I would look for badly listed or newbie 99 cent items and buy 'em cheap. If I saw anything that said worn once it went to the bottom of the list unless the seller was practically giving it away. They nearly all turned out to look dreadful, some salvageable, some not.

The other red flag is new, not worn, only washed. If it has been washed it is second hand.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I know what you mean, it makes me very hesitant in buying second hand clothing. I bought this dress for my daughter on the simple fact that it was advertised as NWOT.

It all depends on sellers attitude as to what feedback I leave, if they are helpful, acknowledge mistake and organise return and refund without having to open a case, I leave appropriate feedback.

Appears seller is fairly new with only 5 star rating (joimed December 2016), unless it is a second account, hard to tell, so will be interesting to see what happens.  

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Seller just replied to message:

"Hi there i never seen those marks but i can say if you wash it they may come out. If not i will refund you the purchase price.  Many thanks

Purchase price was $1.30, I also paid $7.50 postage.  I replied with:

"Hi, thank you for reply.  I picked up parcel yesterday arvo and messaged as soon as I opened package.  There are more problems than just the marks on hem, discoloured straps and red mark on front, the seams are coming undone as well and there is some pilling.  I am sorry but I want to return dress, it is not as described in your auction NWOT,  dress would not be in this condition if only tried on.  Thanks :D"

Should I just open the INAD case now, or wait for reply.   

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

I have opened the case, as seller advised should would accept return, to put back in parcel and "Return To Sender", but no mention of a full refund, only purchase price.  I will leave it up to ebay, I have supplied them with all photos of dress.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

All sorted, seller accepted ebay return for full refund, seller has been ok about it all even though in denial, so feedback will be positive but with low stars.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply