Sellers location.

brkr-0
Community Member

How can a seller say they are in Australia and yet be based or located in another country ?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sellers location.

They can't. Look at the feedback page to see where they are registered.

However many sellers state their items are located in Australia when in fact they are sent from another country.

Always check feedback before making a purchase.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

What was the item number ?

Does the seller claim they are in Australia or that the item is in Australia? 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

Item location misrepresentation has been going on for years. Here is a good thread to get you started and up to speed:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/SCAM-Chinese-sellers-misrepresenting-item-location-Equick/m-...
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

cathchau
Community Member

EXACTLY!!! I am struggling to find more information on whether they're breaching seller's policies or not. I need to return 2 items that claim that they are local to me in Sydney, however the return address is in China. Those items are a total of $40, which will cost me almost that amount for return postage. I specifically chose items that are located in Australia for the convience to return it at a much lower cost if I ever needed to. Does anyone have more information on how to fairly deal with this? Many thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

Contact Live Chat.

In the future don't buy from sellers registered in China who claim their items are in Australia.

Handy hint - when you look at their feedback, their country of registration is displayed on the same page.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

@cathchau wrote:

EXACTLY!!! I am struggling to find more information on whether they're breaching seller's policies or not. I need to return 2 items that claim that they are local to me in Sydney, however the return address is in China. Those items are a total of $40, which will cost me almost that amount for return postage. I specifically chose items that are located in Australia for the convience to return it at a much lower cost if I ever needed to. Does anyone have more information on how to fairly deal with this? Many thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

if in the listing they were shown as located in eg Sydney, then I would definitely be contacting live chat and asking that the seller give you an Australian address for the return, plus pay the return postage.

I can understand that some overseas sellers and companies may have warehouses here and so they may be able to genuinely claim to be overseas but posting from Australia but in that case, ebay should enforce returns to the location as listed in the ad.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers location.

@cathchau wrote:

If the items are not as described, the seller should pay return post anyway, not you. Same goes if they are faullty.

If it is just a change of mind, the seller is not obliged to pay for return nor to even accept return unless they had 30 Day Returns in their listing.

If it is one of the first two you need to open a case in the resolution centre.

Quick after thought...How long did it take for the items to reach you after purchase? That would be a good indication  of whether they were sent locally or not, seller may just be trying to put you off the return process by claiming address in China.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply