Sellers scalping on Today's $2 Remembrance Coin Release

luvwrc
Community Member

I just wanted to find out what equates to scalping, and can it be applied to coin sales.

There are people on Ebay selling the 2022 Remembrance $2 Poppy Coin for $100 to $200 over retail price. Most of us at time of writing this are still waiting in queue with the Australian Mint, due to high demand not helped by these scalpers. Legit collectors chasing just a single coin are taking the hit as Ebay supports this practice, long made illegal on ticket sales but no different to this situation.

Lift your game Ebay!!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay do not read here

eBay do not vet listings

Buyers do not have to buy at those prices, especially 'legit collectors'

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure that people can sell an item for any price they choose, even if it seems extreme. 

Demand will always determine "value". Once demand has subsided, prices will drop.

The point of ebay is to make a profit. You do no get to determine the limit of that profit.

If people want to buy a coin for $200, good luck to them.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@luvwrc wrote:

I just wanted to find out what equates to scalping, and can it be applied to coin sales.

There are people on Ebay selling the 2022 Remembrance $2 Poppy Coin for $100 to $200 over retail price. Most of us at time of writing this are still waiting in queue with the Australian Mint, due to high demand not helped by these scalpers. Legit collectors chasing just a single coin are taking the hit as Ebay supports this practice, long made illegal on ticket sales but no different to this situation.

Lift your game Ebay!!

This begs the question of : ' Why are you standing in line for a re-release of this very same coin - if not to make a profit '.

To be released today :

2022 $2 'C' Mintmark Coloured Uncirculated Coin - Remembrance Day - RRP $15**

Even the Mint is making a ' profit ' - $15 for a face value $2 coin.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I'm one of those that missed out. I only wanted one for my collection. Now it can't be bought for less than $200. Yet I see today (the 7th March), one seller, listing 32 of them in 3 separate listings - 2 each for 10 for $2,500 / $2,750 and a 3rd for 12 coins at $3,000.  And does this guy really think he will sell these at these prices?

How can this not be scalping?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If you think his prices are unrealistic wait a while. Or buy the $200 one.

If they don't sell there is a chance he will reduce his prices.

Or look elsewhere - eBay is not the only online avenue for collectibles.

Scalping generally refers to tickets to a specific performance, not to sales of no longer publically available goods.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I agree 100%. Value is what you are prepared to pay. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@luvwrc wrote:

Lift your game Ebay!!

I don't know that ebay will do anything about it because it is not classed as an 'essential' item. Back when toilet paper and hand sanitiser were keenly sought items, ebay did step in to stop price gouging, but only because I think there was public pressure or maybe government pressure, not sure.

I agree with you that sellers asking up to $200 over retail price is the equivalent of scalping.

But if you recall the 'little things' craze of a few years back, I saw the $4 carry case for them rise to $20, $50 then a dizzy $130 or so on ebay. Whether the bidders ever came to their senses before paying, I have no idea, but they were basically buying a piece of cheap plastic junk that will deteriorate over time.

At least if people overpay for the coin, they have a collector item forever.

The best way to dampen down scalper prices is not to buy from them.

Mind you, it is a never ending mystery to me how your normal person has to sign up to be on a  list to get one, if they are lucky, while some people seem to be able to lay their hands on dozens. I'd like to know how and why because they are not genuine collectors, not if they immediately turn around to sell them.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply