So called "best offer"

I don't understand when sellers put the "best offer" option on their listing when they are only willing to accept an offer of $1 or less of their asking price.  What is the point?  Hardly a best offer option.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So called "best offer"

I totally understand that the seller gets the final say of course in the price but my point was why bother when you are giving almost no room for movement, I just don't see the point.  Obviously some sellers do!

The last offer I made on an item, the seller didn't even come back with a counter off, they just declined my offer and that was that.  It didn't bother me to not get the item so I let it be but previously with other sellers if my offer is not accepted they come back with a counter offer but not this time.

Anyway, I see there are different opinions out there on it.  So be it 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

So called "best offer"

Makes the buyer feel like they got a bargain.
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

cezm
Community Member

I've received best offers higher than my auction start price - perhaps that's what they are hoping for.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

You got $1 off? You were lucky!

I've made offers on some items that were eg $14, and have not been accepted at even 50c off.

I must say it puzzled me till I was reading these forums and a seller said they used best offer only to lower the price a bit for purchasers of multiple items.

I've found some sellers will lower the price marginally on single items, some won't.

It is what it is. It's always worth making an offer though if the best offer option is there. I always make it fairly close to the asking price though.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

Okay, I guess the buyer was extremely keen for the item then to do that.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

We use Best Offer on most of our listings, but that doesn't mean we will accept it.

Nearly all of our listings are sold below the list price, and we always consider offers that are reasonable and fair. We check if the offer is acceptable based on our purchase price, age, popularity of the piece, and length of time listed. Perhaps they are basing their acceptance or not, on these ideas too, perhaps they don't have much room to move in their price? Although like you we think that this is a bit strange to set up BO and then will only accept offers so close to their price does make you wonder why bother at all.

So do understand where you are coming from, but unless you know the sellers reasoning hard to judge, maybe if it is something you really want, message the buyer and see if they will talk to you. Many sellers are happy to chat and explain their reasons, and include an reasonable offer in your message too you might have a bit more success?  

We send counter-offers when the offer doesn't work for us, and this is often accepted by the buyer, so we are both happy. We do our best to try to find a point that works for both parties. If this is an item that you really want you have nothing to lose by sending a polite message and explain your position and who knows they might accept. Good Luck

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

i'd like to see 'best offer' changed to 'make an offer' to remove the idea from a buyer that if they believe their offer is the best they will automatically win the item.

the seller must allways have final say on any offer IMO.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

I totally understand that the seller gets the final say of course in the price but my point was why bother when you are giving almost no room for movement, I just don't see the point.  Obviously some sellers do!

The last offer I made on an item, the seller didn't even come back with a counter off, they just declined my offer and that was that.  It didn't bother me to not get the item so I let it be but previously with other sellers if my offer is not accepted they come back with a counter offer but not this time.

Anyway, I see there are different opinions out there on it.  So be it 🙂

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

I recently had a seller (in China) respond with a counter offer ($22 item which I'd offered $15 for) with the grand discount of 0.04 (cents).

So I upped my offer to $15.04, then received another counter offer from the seller taking it to a total of 0.10 cents off the Buy Now price. It was a very tempting deal as you can surely gather....

Agree totally, makes you wonder why they bother wasting peoples' time. Maybe 10 cents buys a big bag of rice in China.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

So called "best offer"

$1 off if the profit is only a few dollars would be a decent discount from the seller's perspective... Depends on the item, of course, but I can only speculate as there's no specific info for me to go on...

As has already been mentioned, many sellers have make an offer across their listings to enable discounts on multiple purchases - it's their way of being able to provide bulk order discounts. If you're trying to get 20, 10 or even 5% of one item, they will reject it 99.99% of the time because that's not what they offer it for. I do something similar myself - I don't have Best Offer on my listings, but I use a low flat rate postage. I get quite a few people asking me about bulk order discounts and I have to explain that in most cases, they won't save very much unless they're buying my idea of bulk, rather than theirs (many buyers have suggested 2 or 3 is 'bulk', while from my perspective, 10+ is bulk), because I can't provide pricing discounts along with the postage discounts I offer. 

In saying that, there are also just as many sellers who use Best Offer as a lure, and/or who do not understand very well how it's supposed to work. 

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply