Stole item

natha_jesso
Community Member

I recently have a an item say it was delivered. It was left in clear view of the road and footpath and the courier never made contact with anyone that was home at the time. However when I got the notification to say it was delivered it was taken.

Screenshot_20211030-060345_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Stole item

lynsh84
Community Member

Your fight is with the courier company, not ebay or the seller.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

Buyers are responsible for providing a safe place for deliveries, regardless of whether they are home or not.

In the past, I've had deliveries left at the front door even when I was at home. They literally drop and go, unless the item needs a signature. Part of the reason they are doing this is because of Covid and to minimise contact. 

It's not an Ebay or a seller issue though.

Getting a PO Box is a much better idea for peace of mind - even if you have to drive a bit to pick up the item.

Alternatively, get a Ring doorbell which is fantastic for detecting motion outside your house and will notify you when someone is on the premises.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

II agree it's not an Ebay or a seller issue - the OP will have to take it up the slack courier.

But it is certainly not a buyer issue if the buyer provides CLEAR safe drop instructions for deliveries that couriers choose to ignore whichis an issue I've struck.  If the OP was hoping for a courier posessing commonsense then he had no hope!  (I might add that Aust Post are much more reliable and do follow instructions).  I am home all the time but I always include safe drop instructions because apparently despite calling out that I'm coming, using a walker frame means I am too slowfor them to bother waiting.  Mind you that's only if the delivery person bothers to knock so I know they arethere!  AP don't always do so but as they leave my parcels in the right place that's OK with me.  Couriers....grrrrr.

A PO box is not always the answer - there are sellers that state they won't accept PO boxes as an address.

A Ring door bell is not going to get me to the door faster either LOL ,and if the buyer gets a notice but it not at home, then it is not foolproof for more mobile buyers either.  However with any luck they can post pics of the thief on social media and hopefully someone will recognise that person and dob them in.

There is no perfect answer to counter delivery theft but sellers desisting from using dodgy courier services (we all know which ones) and including buyers' delivery instructions on the packaging in clear print would certainly go some way to improving deliveries.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

But it is certainly not a buyer issue if the buyer provides CLEAR safe drop instructions for deliveries that couriers choose to ignore whichis an issue I've struck.  If the OP was hoping for a courier posessing commonsense then he had no hope!  (I might add that Aust Post are much more reliable and do follow instructions).  I am home all the time but I always include safe drop instructions because apparently despite calling out that I'm coming, using a walker frame means I am too slowfor them to bother waiting.  Mind you that's only if the delivery person bothers to knock so I know they arethere!  AP don't always do so but as they leave my parcels in the right place that's OK with me.  Couriers....grrrrr.

Another post saying Australia Post are good but ''the'' couriers are bad.

Interesting I get a mixture of couriers and Australia Post,  99% of the time I can guarantee the couriers leave it at the front door,  sometimes to a point where I can't open the front door but thats another issue, but at least at the front door.

50 plus percent of the time I can guarantee that Australia Post will dump them anywhere accept the front door, mostly in conspicuous spots from the road.  I even had one Australia Post delivery thrown over 10 metres at the front door,  I know because I watched her.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@zanadoo - I mentioned the Ring doorbell, not because you'll get to the door faster, but you will, at least, know that the courier has dropped the parcel and you can bring it inside. 🙂

Since the OP implied that someone was at home at the time of delivery, they would have been made aware, as opposed to the item sitting outside for several hours and then being stolen.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

I should also add to this thread that there are certainly cases where the courier/parcel company has been followed and then the item is promptly stolen, no matter what instructions the buyer has left.

If a thief sees an opportunity, they will exploit it.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

A PO box is not always the answer - there are sellers that state they won't accept PO boxes as an address.

I don't know if every Post Office will do it, but my PO has provided me with a street address to use for couriers to deliver to (and would solve the problem of sellers that won't accept PO Boxes as addresses).  They also notify me by email when there is mail in my PO Box which saves me driving into town just to check.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@ambercat16 wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I don't know if every Post Office will do it, but my PO has provided me with a street address to use for couriers to deliver to (and would solve the problem of sellers that won't accept PO Boxes as addresses).  They also notify me by email when there is mail in my PO Box which saves me driving into town just to check.

It is frowned upon by AP HQ,  as PO's arent setup as collection points for the opposition.

It is generally smaller country PO's or LPO's in particular, which have to stay in good keeping with their community that break this rule.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@sugar249 wrote:

@ambercat16 wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

It is frowned upon by AP HQ,  as PO's arent setup as collection points for the opposition.

It is generally smaller country PO's or LPO's in particular, which have to stay in good keeping with their community that break this rule.

Dunno where you get your info from but in my case, it's the capital city GPO that offers the services, not an LPO or a small PO.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply