This is how it's done!

I ordered 3 items from a seller overseas (Latvia of all places!), which arrived today. Sadly, 2 of the 3 were broken due to poor packaging. Being a newish seller (22 feedback), I wanted to contact her first, rather than just go straight for the throat by opening a dispute or negging her.

I went to one of the listings to send a message and basically got a message saying the seller isn't taking messages. I assumed that meant she had messages turned off. What do I do? What do I do? I sat on it for awhile, then remembered she sent me a message when she posted the items, so I found that message and replied to it. If that didn't work, I was going to find her email address in PayPal and send one direct that way.

She thanked me so much for sending her a message instead of leaving negative feedback. I mentioned that the packaging was pretty ordinary and she said she will post in boxes in future. I gave her a few tips on how to package better, especially for international shipping. If she apologised once, she apologised 20 times. I offered her some photos to show I wasn't trying to scam her and she said it wasn't necessary and sent me a refund for the 2 broken items without hesitation, even though I hadn't asked for one at that point.

I'm not sure what language they use in Latvia, but her English was excellent, so communicating was very easy. She replied to my first message within 15 minutes which really impressed me. Of course I gave her glowing feedback for all 3 items and 5 stars for everything except item description for the 2 broken ones. I didn't leave a rating for those. I have also bid on a few more of her things, so hopefully she knows there is no hard feelings. I think if I win these ones they will be packed so well you'd be able to drive a bus over them and they wouldn't break!

I guess the moral of the story is, it certainly pays to contact a seller first, before opening a dispute or resorting to the red button. I've only had a few issues with items arriving broken over the years and all have had exactly the same outcome just by sending the seller a message.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

This is how it's done!

*tippy*toes*

what a wonderful outcome for you, as well as fantastic attitude!

Same didn't happen to me - to receive damaged items - but if it did I would have done exactly the same thing

Too many people on these boards, mostly names that one sees regularly (those who call themselves volunteer advise givers) suggest an imediate retribution - for even a slightest "misdemeanour"

And when ever anyone try to suggest otherwise - they all jump on board with abuse with almost boring predictability (but fun to watch, all the same)!

Very refreshing to see a member who not only makes allowances for accidents - but offers a very much appreciated help!

Being nice and humane and treating people with dignity is the key - always shows in a best possible outcome.

Again - bravo!

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

This is how it's done!

Actually most people responding here, particularly the regular posters, ALWAYS suggest contacting the seller first.  But I have seen many members come to the boards who haven't made any effort to contact the seller ........ THEN seek suggestions on what to do after already opening a dispute or leaving negative feedback.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

This is how it's done!

@cathyjoyjoy wrote:

Actually most people responding here, particularly the regular posters, ALWAYS suggest contacting the seller first.  But I have seen many members come to the boards who haven't made any effort to contact the seller ........ THEN seek suggestions on what to do after already opening a dispute or leaving negative feedback.

I think part of the problem with the dispute thing is, the buyer does try to contact the seller, but when the options come up, they select "I didn't receive my item" because that's what the problem is. I think there would be a certain percentage that don't realise that by selecting that option opens the dispute. Same with the item not described option.

Before the MBG thing came in, if you selected that option, you still just sent the seller a message and that would be the subject of the message. There was no adverse effect. That's why when I send an invoice or have been in contact with a buyer for any reason, I always add that if there is a problem, to contact me using the ask about using my item or ask seller a question option.....or reply to this message if we have been in contact via messaging. So far, the few issues I've had, that's exactly what's happened. Anyone that has contacted me has used that option.

I have to admit, for a fleeting moment yesterday when I couldn't contact this seller, I did think of leaving a neg. I noticed she had received quite a few new feedback since I had bought and they were all glowing positives and all her stars were still 5. I didn't want to be the one to change that, I would have felt terrible. I know how I would have felt if it was me. I know how I DID feel when someone negged me without contacting me first.

If it turned out that I couldn't contact her at all, I probably would have just opened a dispute. I figured that would be the least damaging to her account. The only problem with the dispute thing though is, I only needed a partial refund, so not sure how that would have worked. I suppose she could have just sent the partial, and I could have closed the dispute without asking eBay to step in. I'm so glad it didn't come to that though. I've never opened a dispute and never had one opened against me, and I'm quite happy to leave it that way!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply