Time Limit for Collecting 'pick up only' purchase

Some large items are pick-up only. i.e. pick up from the buyer, there is no delivery option or click and collect option.

If you win an auction on such a pick-up only item then how long do you have to collect the item?

I cannot see any terms and conditions around how long buyers have to collect item.

If you win the auction and pay for the item but then a problem arises like the seller is leaving town and wants the item collected but you cannot pick it up until the following week, or you simply cannot agree a time to collect that works for both you and the seller, then can you get your money back with MBG?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It's not all about the buyer

It is between the buyer and the seller to agree to a time that suits both parties

Sellers are certainly not going to have a click and collect options for items that are to be collected from the in person.

Do you seriously think a seller should have the item shipped to a store for the buyer to collect (even if that were even possible in the first place?

Would you be willing to pay a lot of extra money to have a third party deliver to you?

And some sellers will give a time limit on when they want the item picked up by

Communicate with the seller before buying an item that requires pick up and there won't be an issue

Better still, pay cash when you pick up the item and use the QR code provided 

Is there any reason you simply assume there is going to be an issue?

And no, the MBG does not cover buying, paying and then choosing not go to and pick up the item

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

My advice (if you are a buyer) is that if you bid on a pick up item, then you need to look at the finish date of the auction (if it is an auction) or else at the date you buy and ensure that you have a long, clear window at some time in the next week where you could arrange pick up. Usually that would be a weekend. There's a weekend in every week so it shouldn't be too hard.

As a buyer, I have picked up quite a lot of items, what I do is ask the seller when it would be convenient and then offer some times I would be free. Not an exact time but something like eg any time Saturday or else Sunday morning any time if suitable. 

I find most sellers will then reply with a time frame that fits in with them.

You also have to be prepared to pick up eg early evening on a weekday, as that time suits a lot of people.

But it should be possible to find some mutual time within the next week.

If your possible pick up times are extremely limited eg 11am Thursday (which is what one 'buyer' on markeplace told me), then you need to ask a seller before you bid. You may be better off not bidding at all unless you are a bit more flexible.

You are right in that I don't think there is a clear ebay limit on pick up time.

However, there is on most online sale items and it is 4 days. After that, a seller can open a dispute for an unpaid item.

So I would say that a week-or two at th outside-would be the tolerance level of most sellers.

If you don't pick up and don't pay within that time, let me assure you that a seller can and probably will open an unpaid dispute against you. As sellers, my sister & I did that to a buyer of a pick up item a few years back. We did it after about 3 weeks of being messed around.

If you as buyer pay for the item then just fail to pick up for ages, then the MBG might time out on you. You only get 30 days. If you pay via paypal and then still don't pick up (which our seller did, after 3 weeks, to avoid a strike), then yes, you can claim via paypal and you will probably get a refund because you don't have the item.

But if a seller is moving or needs an item gone by a certain date, that will usually be in the ad. If you know you might have trouble picking up by then, just don't buy.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply