USPS black hole?

hus2385
Community Member

Let me preface my post by saying I'm sure there are a few USPS black holes lol (Chicago appears to have a bit od a rep, so I've read!) but I was wondering about this one - Jamaica, NY.

I'm tracking (or not, as the case seems to be now!) a package which left the origin post office in AQUEBOGUE, NY on Aug 11, with a brief stopover in GARDEN CITY NY...arrived in Jamaica Aug 12 where it has sat (apparently) ever since. Another item posted from Miami on the same date (Aug 11) has landed in Aust already.

Anyone have any experience/suggestions? I haven't got onto the seller yet, thought I would run things past you guys here before bothering them.

Although, according to this post on the US forums it may not be too hopeful lol

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Item-stuck-at-JAMAICA-NY-11430-USPS/m-p/23811164#M811...

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

USPS black hole?

@hus2385 wrote:

Anyone have any experience/suggestions? I haven't got onto the seller yet, thought I would run things past you guys here before bothering them.

I don't know if there is anything actually to this, but a lot of US sellers say stuck packages seem to start moving after they email-subscribe to tracking updates via USPS (I suspect it's mostly coincidental, though, and probably more a case of people noticing a delay, looking up tracking, subscribing, and the package moving as it normally would have not long after). 

The seller probably is the best one to talk to, though, as they would be in a better position to make enquiries with USPS. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

USPS black hole?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@hus2385 wrote:

Let me preface my post by saying I'm sure there are a few USPS black holes lol (Chicago appears to have a bit od a rep, so I've read!) but I was wondering about this one - Jamaica, NY.

The Chicago International Mail Centre definitely was a Black Hole a few years ago.

As soon as there was a query on the boards about non delivery of USPS mail we all guessed that it was coming through Chicago.....90% of the time we were right.

I had it happen twice myself.....one item was just delayed, the other is still on the way...3 years later. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

USPS black hole?

@digital*ghost wrote:

@hus2385 wrote:

I don't know if there is anything actually to this, but a lot of US sellers say stuck packages seem to start moving after they email-subscribe to tracking updates via USPS (I suspect it's mostly coincidental, though, and probably more a case of people noticing a delay, looking up tracking, subscribing, and the package moving as it normally would have not long after). 

The seller probably is the best one to talk to, though, as they would be in a better position to make enquiries with USPS. 

Thanks, digital*ghost 🙂

Appreciate your comment and advice - I wasn't sure if I jumped the gun a bit as its only been just over a week now, but I will get onto the seller and see if they can get any info from USPS.

I did go through the convoluted process of trying to contact USPS once (@ about 2:30am lol) and it was kinda like pulling teeth, difficult and painful lol

Thanks for your input too lyndal...I think Chicago must have relegated their black hole statue elsewhere, a package I watched with some trepidation! got through there no problem not too long ago. Commisserations on your long-disappeared item!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply