Updating an "Item not received" request to "Not as described" - possible?

Is it possible to change the category of an open request/case?

I filed an INR request with eBay on the 27/5 for an item that was supposed to have been posted earlier in the week via express, but hadn't arrived, with no shipping details visible in eBay, and the seller not responsing to my request for an update or tracking info.

Looks like the seller didn't post it until 29/5, I then received it 31/5.

Item didn't look the same as in the photos, the accessory case that came with it isn't genuine and doesn't fit properly (the correct one is shown in the photo in the listing), and while being described as "like new", it's actually got scuffs and scratches on it.

After some back and forth messaging with the seller, it seems he's listed multiple copies of the item with the same listing details and photos, has admitted getting some things mixed up etc, and offered to accept a refund should I want to return it (as of yesterday 4/6).

Today he's changed his tone, and asked eBay to step in and close the request (well, it's case now that he's done that) - seems he's miffed that the funds are locked while the request is open and I'm "wasting" his time.

Is there a way I can update this to a "not as described" case, upload photos etc, to reflect what's happened?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

As you have now received the item, you should close the Item Not Received case.  If the item is not as described and you can't sort the issue out with the seller to your satisfaction, you can then open an Item Not As Described case.  

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

No, you cannot open a second dispute for the same item.

DO NOT close the dispute for not received.   There should be a place to change the dispute to not as described.   I have no idea where to find it in an ebay dispute as I have only ever done a paypal dispute.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks, lyndal - that's what I was thinking, that a second dispute can't be opened once the first is closed. I'll keep hunting for a way to change it.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Don't close the case.

Have a look here - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/item-not-received.html

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

and while being described as "like new", it's actually got scuffs and scratches on it.

"Like new" means "May have very minimal identifying marks on the inside cover. Very minimal wear and tear." So you got what you paid for.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Reread the OP mark, they did not get what they paid for, not only were there scratches but the case didn't fit properly.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@mark.wooba wrote:
and while being described as "like new", it's actually got scuffs and scratches on it.

"Like new" means "May have very minimal identifying marks on the inside cover. Very minimal wear and tear." So you got what you paid for.

Very thoughtful of you to copy and past eBay's condition definition of a "Like New" book here, mark.potamus, but given that the item is not a book nor book-like in any regard, and also that you've neither seen the photos in the listing or the actual item I received, I shall kindly disregard your contribution and maintain my original assertion that the item is not as described (or put in terms more likly to appeal to you, that I'm the "victim" of "predatory" item description deception! 😄 😄 😄 )

It's interesting how your opinion on this has reversed since a moderator removed your initial post, sterotyping the seller with a derogatory term! 😄

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Tazz - just a question - did you have a VOUCHER - for this.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Lol! I actually I did use a code with this purchase, which gave me enough discount the cover the shipping cost

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply