WHY WAS MY RECENT TRANSACTION CANCELLED BY SOMEONE AFTER i HAD PAID AND THE VENDOR HAD THE SENT IT

keke46
Community Member

I was told by the high-handed Global Shipping Program that the transaction was cancelled because the item was "restricted" It was a piece of timber veneer for god's sake. How can that be restricted and what does restricted mean, and why is Ebay's communication so bad that 11 days later I still haven't been told anything?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

WHY WAS MY RECENT TRANSACTION CANCELLED BY SOMEONE AFTER i HAD PAID AND THE VENDOR HAD THE SENT IT

The GSP (Pitney Bowes) have some very strange ideas on what's "restricted", examples include butter knives, guitars, drums etc.

All you can do is open a case with eBay for "item not received" after the ETA of the parcel has passed.

I haven't had to go down that path myself, but I suspect it'll be less than straightforward due to the GSP being involved.

Edit. I didn't think of timber treatment Kopes.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Nothing to do with eBay.

Any timber product requires treatment to destroy any potential pests or eggs within it coming into Aus.

It is the buyer's responsibility to know their own local customs rules and the GSP probably cannot ship without the goods undergoing treatment which hasn't been paid for.

I don't know where you go from here but if the item is returned to the seller you are entitled to a refund less postage.

However I think Pitney Bowes (GSP) is more likely to destroy the product unless you can arrange the purchase of treatment on landing with the GSP.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@keke46,

You're not the only person who has been utterly bewildered by what the GSP (that is, Pitney Bowes) determine to be "restricted" or "prohibited". Other items that PB decided they would not ship include drums, a guitar, butter knife, toy helicopter... In some of the cases, one can see why the restriction has been determined; for instance, anything that had once contained even a whiff of fuel, firearms, knives, etc. But in other cases it just seems to be a bizarre decision.

Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do. In the eBay.com.au Global Shipping Program: Buyer Terms & Conditions, it states:

โItem Eligibility. Not all listings on eBay.com are eligible for GSP. eBay reserves the right at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice to you, to alter or amend the eligibility requirements for GSP Items, including, but not limited to, limits on the number, type, category, and/or value of items and/or transactions. You agree not to purchase any ineligible items through GSP. More information about ineligible items may be found here. You agree that if any item is found to be ineligible, Pitney Bowes will have no liability and will have, in its discretion and in any manner that it prefers, the right to dispose of or liquidate the ineligible item, including without limitation (A) returning the item to the Seller, (B) handing over the item to the authorities, or (C) destroying the item. Pitney Bowes is authorized to open and inspect any GSP Item without notice.โž

In spite of the link (in the above paragraph) to eBay's page about International purchases and postage for buyers, there actually isn't any information about ineligible items on that page.

However, it does at least link to the Australian Customs website at the bottom of that page.

Here is a helpful page about Prohibited goods on the Australian Border Force site.

Here's the searchable page of Prohibited goods on that site.

This doesn't give you the full story, however, when it comes to what Pitney Bowes will decide is ineligible. It's too much trouble for PB to differentiate between knives in a cutlery set and knives as weapons (daggers, switchblades, etc.), and that's why we have the butter knife saga.

You may want to use a parcel forwarder in the US to purchase items which are not prohibited under Australian legislation, but which PB class as ineligible.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Nothing to do with eBay.

Any timber product requires treatment to destroy any potential pests or eggs within it coming into Aus.

It is the buyer's responsibility to know their own local customs rules and the GSP probably cannot ship without the goods undergoing treatment which hasn't been paid for.

I don't know where you go from here but if the item is returned to the seller you are entitled to a refund less postage.

However I think Pitney Bowes (GSP) is more likely to destroy the product unless you can arrange the purchase of treatment on landing with the GSP.

Yes, that would possibly apply to untreated timber.Looking at keke56's post below, they say it was veneer. Well, veneer is usually treated wood. There are plently of electronic items (Talking about hi-fi here) that are in veneer cases.

What gives???

@keke46 wrote:

keke46 View Listings

Community Member

WHY WAS MY RECENT TRANSACTION CANCELLED BY SOMEONE AFTER i HAD PAID AND THE VENDOR HAD THE SENT IT[ New ]

I was told by the high-handed Global Shipping Program that the transaction was cancelled because the item was "restricted" It was a piece of timber veneer for god's sake. How can that be restricted and what does restricted mean, and why is Ebay's communication so bad that 11 days later I still haven't been told anything?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Not necessarily because I used to work in a plywood company and we used to glue the veneer timber together to make it plywood and the veneer was cut straight from a log and no treatment was used.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply