What happens if a seller decides not to sell after an auction has ended?

On August 21st I won an auction for an expensive laptop ($2000 USD), which I paid for immediately. The listing said that the laptop would be shipped between 1-2 business days after payment was received. I contacted the seller over 2 full business days after the payment had cleared because no shipping information had been posted. They did not respond so I sent a new message the next day. After a week of having paid for the item and not having received any responses, I decided to submit a claim through PayPal. The seller has a pretty high rating (98%) but  they don't appear to sell high priced items like the one I purchased.

Since I don't foresee any reason why I wouldn't get my money back through PayPal, I decided to start looking for another laptop. I won an auction for the same model laptop, but this time I decided to message the buyer prior to sending the payment. It's been two days since the auction ended and I've yet to receive a response. I fear this is starting to become a trend.

I'm worried that the sellers had a change of heart, mostly because I think I got an okay deal (or at least would get an okay deal if I received the laptops). Now my question; are there any repercussions to a seller deciding not so sell their item once an auction has ended? I'm likely going to be losing money on the first auction because the payment currency was in US and my bank account is not USD. What bothers me almost as much though, is that I'm wasting a lot of time looking for the laptop I need (or something comparable), and the sellers don't really seem to care or be affected by this. Thanks for the responses!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Mistake One. Ask questions BEFORE you bid not after.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

dupllicate post

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

The seller gets a defect (for cancelling  a sale because they no longer want to send the item) which affects their seller performance standards. They need a certain number of them - maximum defect rate ( 5% from at least 8 differennt buyers for sellers who are not Top Rated sellers) before it affects them.

I am surprised US sellers even want to send laptops to Australia, a lot of them don't even want to send small items, they can't be bothered with the hassle. Customs duty would need to be paid for items over $1000 (by the buyer).

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Why on Earth, would you purchace an item like that for that amount of $$$ from Over Seas ? Go to a Bricks & Mortar Shop in your area and buy directly of them. That way, if anything goes wrong you can take it back. 😞 Hope all works out for you 🙂 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply