Why am I being charged a foreign exchange fee when the item is local not overseas

trevsit
Community Member

I have noticed on a number of purchases that on my bank statement they have charged a foreign exchange fee when the item was local and not from overseas. There is no mention of this charge in the advertised listing or through out the payment options?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why am I being charged a foreign exchange fee when the item is local not overseas

I have also noticed this when the item is local and not in the US or overseas. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Your feedback shows you have bought a few items from sellers in China in the past month, so just to confirm the charges donโ€™t relate to those?

Have you contacted eBay otherwise?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

This can happen if your bank views the receiving business as a foreign company, even if everything is being paid in AUD. 

eBay and / or the seller have nothing to do with it, and they can't warn you about fees your bank may or may not charge, as you bank needs to do that via their Product Disclosure Statement. 

The best best solution is usually to change banks Smiley LOL (i.e. there are a lot out there that won't apply international transaction fees so arbitrarily, you may be able to get your current bank to waive the fees if you complain, I guess). 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply