Why are Australians charging ridiculous, outlandish prices for 90s point horror books?

Every time I check eBay thinking I'll grab I cheap book, I go somewhere else. Point horror books bring nostalgia, so I enjoy collecting and reading them. I had a whole heap years ago and they got damaged. So I'm trying to replace my collection. Searching for Christopher pike on eBay had become a bit of an eye roll chore. Coming across an old dusty looking book and someone calling it vintage and puts a price of $80 on it. Another seller is selling it for $4. It's becoming a bit of a joke. I just went to another site and got 22 point horror books for $3.90 each. These sellers on eBay think they're sitting on rare books. They need to get over themselves and stop trying to rip people off. It's disgusting. Not the overseas sellers. It's Australian ones doing this. Disgusting behaviour. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Why are Australians charging ridiculous, outlandish prices for 90s point horror books?

Send them a message and ask them

And if you believe it is 'disgusting behaviour' don't buy from them

Very very simple

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I don't know anything about these books. Could it be that some editions have become valuable?

Who is charging $80-a business seller or a mum & dad type seller with little experience on ebay?

I just had a quick look on Amazon and what I am seeing is that if you want to buy a copy of one of these books on kindle, it is about $11 but if you want to buy the mass market paperback, the rates seem to be in hundreds of dollars. The used from about $63 for some titles but new, you're looking at $360.

I'd guess that these have become a collector item, at least in some editions. If you can pick some up for $4, I would guess they may be undervalued. $80 is not 'disgusting behaviour' if that particular book or edition is getting high prices elsewhere.

But it is like anything else & any other site-the seller sets the price & yes sometimes some sellers overprice their goods (thinking facebook marketplace here in particular) so you as buyer need to do a bit of research before you buy. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

No  one is making you buy them.

A seller can ask what they want,  

Not sure it is worth a rant,  it's personal choice really/

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply