Why do eBay make you feel guilty about neutral feedback

I have just received a bridal veil which is completely unsaleable. There are about 3 small holes in the design, threads are hanging off the sewing and there is no way that I can sell it to any buyer.

It is not worth the return postage to China to get a refund, and yet eBay constantly ask if I am sure if I want to leave neutral feedback.

I thought that the idea of feedback was to alert other buyers to a possible problem.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Forget about eBay, I'm more curious as to why you're only considering giving the seller neutral feedback. If I'd received something in such an appallingly unsaleable condition, the seller would be copping a neg as fast as I could type one, plus 1s on all their DSRs. You should never allow 'guilt' to prevent you from being 100% honest in your opinion.
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

@cq_electrical wrote:
Forget about eBay, I'm more curious as to why you're only considering giving the seller neutral feedback. If I'd received something in such an appallingly unsaleable condition, the seller would be copping a neg as fast as I could type one, plus 1s on all their DSRs. You should never allow 'guilt' to prevent you from being 100% honest in your opinion.

cq, I guess to date I have been lucky that everything that I have purchased has been good. I was unsure what damage to an item warranted an negative. But thanks to your post I now have a better idea.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Under the circumstances Jean, I think the only thing that would prevent me from leaving negative feedback would be if the seller was prepared to refund without return (given that the cost of return to China would be prohibitive), so you may want to email them and see if they're prepared to do so, but if they refuse, or demand that you return the original item, or don't refund the full amount within 7 days, then nothing on this earth would be saving them from the dreaded (and well-deserved) red dot. Perhaps it might encourage them to do a bit better next time as well.
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

By all means leave the 'red dot'..

The item is not as described - you have waited for posting from China - you have a useless product - and paid for it.

These sellers in my experience hate the red dots - so leave one and let them resolve the problem.

Odds are they will offer another - offer a refund without having to return the item - and bigger odds are they will ask for revised feedback.

Do not revise until you are happy with a replacement - a refund.

If you want to revise at all - may save others from the same fate.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

I too would have left a neg unless the seller refunded without question or return then it would probably be a neutral.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

I see you left them a neutral, Jean. Why didn't you neg them? A neutral does them no real harm at all and doesn't even count against their feedback percentage. A neutral would only have been applicable had they refunded you without return, so did they?
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Ebay ask you if you are sure because there are buyers who leave feedback like this with a neutral, "Would be one of the best vendors I've dealt with. Easy 2 deal with & great coms." (left for same seller)

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@cq_electrical wrote:
the seller would be copping a neg as fast as I could type one, plus 1s on all their DSRs. You should never allow 'guilt' to prevent you from being 100% honest in your opinion.

Just my opinion, but this is not the correct way to deal with such situations,I would contact the seller and see what he is willing to do first, send hm pics as proof of damage and if he does nothing then a negative is deserved, but you should contact the seller first before feedback. I know a bit about selling and sellers usually want to avoid a defect and will try and resolve the issue for you. 

If there is an issue, the best way to resolve it is via communication, not by leaving feedback.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Unless the seller is using trained chimpanzees to do his stock control and packing, it's pretty unlikely he could have missed seeing an item in such an unusable and unsaleable condition, yet he elected to send it anyway.

However, I do actually agree with you for the most part, but my immediate response would be governed by such things as item price, previous negative or neutral feedback, number of revised feedbacks, T&Cs in his listing, etc. There's no 'one size fits all' I'm afraid.
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply