Why does Ebay allow click bait advertising

Why does Ebay allow sellers of mobile phones to use click bait pricing on their listings?

I want to purchase a mobile phone and I see a good price at lets say $110 but when I click on the listing the price is usually double or tripple the price. I feel that this is deceptive advertising and extremely missleading conduct./

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I feel that any mobile phone bought from a cheap seller is probably worth even less than $110. It will not be new, manufacturers can't even make them for that; it will claim to be refurbished, which means it will be turned off so you can, possibly, reboot it; it will probably be locked to a network that doesn't cover Australia; it will definitely have no usable warranty, assurances notwithstanding.

Buy from a proper shop and get a proper phone with a proper warranty.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

You would need to ask eBay. Likely the same reason they allow buyers to lie and scam to get freebies 

It sounds like a lot of the phones you are speaking of are from sellers registered in China, (who can do whatever they like as eBay China will not touch them)

But personally there is no way I or many people here would take such a huge risk by buying an el-cheapo piece of rubbish which

will more than likely be a fake or very poor factory second

certainly have no warranty (despite what the ad claims)

And you risk it being a fire hazard to not only yourself/home but to those around you 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It is dodgy advertising.

Who knows why ebay allows some sellers to get away with it. Probably because the sellers are in China where counterfeit items and dodgy stuff is an art form. And probably because it sometimes works and leads to sales. Ads and sales are manna from heaven for ebay. The more the merrier.

It doesn't mean that there are no decent Chinese sellers but ask yourself this- would you really want to buy a phone from someone whose ads are a bit questionable to start with and where you'll get no guarantee and no after sales service? Up to you, but you'll probably be buying trouble, if the number of poster complaints to these boards about phones is anything to go by.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Does anyone know where I can register a complaint with eBay against the practice of bait pricing, that is listing an item , sometimes associated with the item your searching, sometimes not, and the bait item is $1, but what I am looking for if $15 etc. I would like to buy a 128gb microSD card and this stuff with $1-$65 appears, and the $1item is an adaptor. If I sort by price all these group listing with the adaptor show! It's a pain prying to sort through them all to get to the item I really want
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Scroll down on the side menu and in the price section put in a realistic price in the first box and click enter.

The other option is to simply scroll past any that you don't believe are realistically priced.

Check the sellers feedback for the item as these cards are notorious for sellers selling fake/scam items.

There is no where to complain as the practice is mainly used by the Chinese and other overseas countries and

they have a different report for them in that they get reports and that's as far as it gets as nothing is ever done

that might jeopardise those sellers.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply