Why doesn't eBay do anything?

I have seen item 222751062559 discussed on another board (the item is in the USA).

The item is a cheap souvenir doll from Japan that would probably cost less than 5 bucks, and the seller asks for USD 50,000.

The seller claims that it is a rare Candy Candy doll. It is not. Those who understand Japanese said that the package simply says "souvenir" or "gift".

The doll is a brunette while Candy was blonde.

The seller says that the package has never been opened, but somebody magnified the package and it is clear that the staples had been removed because you can clearly see the holes. It has since been restapled.

The seller says she needs the money to pay for her father's medical bills. Aren't there sites like GoFundMe for that?

Somebody reported the item saying that it is not Candy and the package is not new, and explaining why, but they did not do absolutely anything. I mean, it is possible that the item had been reported before because of the price, but this person didn't mention the price. This person mentioned that it was not new and that it was not Candy, but just a souvenir doll as indicated in Japanese on the package.

This is really weird....

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are also rules for descriptions, and the description is definitely not factual (the package says it is a souvenir) and should also not contain irrelevant information like having to pay medical bills:

https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/merchant-products/catalog-best-practices/content/descriptions.htm...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ebay wil not take the word of another member that the item is a fake unles they buy the item and get a letter from the manufacturer or someone else with the authority to certify the authenticity or lack thereof.

A seller can set any price they like on their item.....it is up to the potential buyer to decide whether they want to buy it.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

The item is not really a fake, as the package just says souvenir (I don't speak Japanese, but others who do said so).

What I mean is the manufacturer of the doll didn't identify the doll as Candy anywhere. It is the seller who says the doll is Candy, so the problem is with the description rather than with a fake item.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

If the doll is described as Candy when it it not then it is a fake and subject to a dispute for not as described.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

" so the problem is with the description rather than with a fake item."

That's why eBay has the Money Back Guarantee.

Move along people...nothing to see here...

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

There are also rules for descriptions, and the description is definitely not factual (the package says it is a souvenir) and should also not contain irrelevant information like having to pay medical bills:

https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/merchant-products/catalog-best-practices/content/descriptions.htm...

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

As I have already said.....if the description is wrong then the doll can be subject to a Not As Described dispute.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@respect.our.planet wrote:

There are also rules for descriptions, and the description is definitely not factual and should also not contain irrelevant information:

You won't get any argument on that from me.

You should be able to find a couple of million listings with description errors...shouldn't take too long to report them all.

Once again...eBay has the MBG to protect buyers.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

As I have already said.....if the description is wrong then the doll can be subject to a Not As Described dispute.

I think we are...

See the source image

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Anyone spending that kind of money will know this is not genuine and is not going to purchase.

Simply, it won't sell.

image host
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply