Wrong size item received to what was ordered?

omy005
Community Member

G'day, I've been buying and selling on eBay for years now without hardly any trouble. But my last purchase of a $35 bicycle stem has seen me receiving a size different to what my order was. Unfortunately I was on holidays at the time it arrived and didn't find out for a couple of weeks. I made contact with the seller asking about exchange and received a reply very quickly asking for pictures (which I sent). They replied in broken English in part

"must be our wrapper sent the wrong size, can we just keep this order, and next time, i would give you a discount or send you some gifts."

"We would be more carefully and do it better and better in the future.
Thanks for your feedback, and do you have any new need?"

So I went through eBay's process of asking for a refund. I received an offer of partial refund (because outside of refund time limit?) and accepted the offer.

After several weeks I received another message from the seller saying the refund didn't go through and the case still shows in their account and can they send me a new item and for me to close the case.

I'm happy for this to happen but how do I "close the case" or is this the right thing to do?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I don't know that I would go out of my way to close any cases till you either get your refund or your replacement item.

i am not too sure why a refund couldn't go through, it sounds a bit unusual to me if this is a big seller. I suppose I have a nasty, suspicious mind but I would be worreid they were trying to fob me off & delay things.

If the time for the ebay claim has expired, could you try paypal?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Don't close the case until you have a refund.

They want you to close it then you have no recourse.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks fro the replies.

They have replied back to me saying they will send the correct item and then I can cancel the case. Will wait and see what turns up this time.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I'm not liking the fact you are being delayed further. They could have sent a replacement weeks ago.

I would not close any case, I would not wait very long.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

As springyzone said, don't wait too long and don't let the case time out. If the item arrives you can always repay them if you've had a refund in the meantime.

Don't get conned by people who suggest you keep the item and next time they'll give you a discount. They know you're unlikely to be stupid enough to buy from them a second time, and what good is the wrong item to you anyway?
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

So, nothing turned up and the promised tracking number never eventuated and now I notice in my messages that " This return was completed" and "This return was closed"?

How can this happen? I accepted the partial refund (that never happened) then the seller messages me saying they'll send another but it never arrives. 

Feeling riped off.

stem 120mm.JPG

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Not feeling ripped off any more. Correct item turned up today, but too late for feedback?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

If you've already left feedback you can leave a comment on it, or you can always message them and say thank you.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply