car being held in storage by eBay?

Very suspicious of an email I received after enquiring about a car for sale....  

Seller has stated that the car has been left in storage through eBay and they have power of attorney!

Money to be sent via bank transfer for car and car delivered in 4 days  from eBay !!!

The car has not been advertised through eBay but via Facebook marketplace.  Email obviously with a 'sob story'... 

I'm thinking this is a scam or is this a 'thing' 

Bank transfer is a big clanger, never paid anything other than PayPal  

Thoughts please I'm in Australia.

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I - and many others - have posted in these boards extensively about this type of scam.

It is dismaying that people should have even a splinter of “Is it real?” in their minds.

Please check this thread on these boards here (link: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Motors/Is-this-a-scam/m-p/2446910#M1568) and for goodness’ sake, don’t even get started with this obvious scam! Everything you need to know is on that thread.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

100% SCAM!!!!

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

200% a SCAM.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I - and many others - have posted in these boards extensively about this type of scam.

It is dismaying that people should have even a splinter of “Is it real?” in their minds.

Please check this thread on these boards here (link: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Motors/Is-this-a-scam/m-p/2446910#M1568) and for goodness’ sake, don’t even get started with this obvious scam! Everything you need to know is on that thread.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you.  I know there are so many scams but hadn’t heard of this one  and alarm bells rang.  Other half was excited about the deal 🤦🏼‍♀️ a little naive - I have just read the whole thing to him.  Thankfully the money will stay in our bank acct  

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

It's a scam. I just got same type of email about another car being advertised on market place 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Yep I just got an inquiry to after making an inquiry on a car Falcon XD wagon V8 1979 for sale for 4 1/2 thousand dollars gave me a sob story to that says her ex-husband‘s car has passed and now just wants to get rid of it as I’m at the memories and dribble dribble dribble goes on to say that. Yes eBay has her car in storage facility instead of being in Brisbane now it is in Darwin apparently like I wanna with these  scam yeah they’re scammers all day. AB doesn’t have a storage I don’t sell thing on the things sell things for you. Look after anything for you. Yeah scams are I should be the thing. The email was rarara@buildyourbusiness1.com w which you click on and there’s no such thing

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Why do you post a scammer’s email on a public board?

Just avoid scams and don’t engage.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

You made an inquiry to the scammer?

And are upset because the scammer replied and tried to scam you?

(from what I can make out in your rant)

What did you expect to happen?

These are widely known and warned about scams

Nothing about the ads look real

Nothing to do with eBay

Why would you contact them at all?

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

catwe-7
Community Member

Yep. It's a scam. The same thing happened to me. I was aware when I saw the price for the car. That's the red flag. I contacted them and had fun wasting their time. I like playing with scammers. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply