eBay SMS message offering $20 voucher for leaving feedback?

Just received the following SMS on my mobile phone, with the sender simply being called "eBay" - there's no number that I can see.

Hi,

Thanks for your recent [product name] purchase. We see you've not left feedback yet. Please leave feedback in 24 hours to get an eBay $20 voucher. Hurry.

As eBay customer support is presently offline, I can't check with them on whether this is a legitimate eBay message until tomorrow.  It seems a little fishy to me, plus I've actually bought two of these items within a day of each other from different sellers, so I don't actually know which item the message is referring to.

Anyone else ever received a message like this to their phone, or heard of others that have? I've checked my messages in eBay, and my emails - no sign of anything similar in either of those.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I have not received one of those messages, but if you save the number to your contacts, you should be able to then see the number by going to it in your contacts and opening it up. If you can see it, try searching for it in Reverse Australia to see if anyone else has said who the number is from.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I have not received one of those messages, but if you save the number to your contacts, you should be able to then see the number by going to it in your contacts and opening it up. If you can see it, try searching for it in Reverse Australia to see if anyone else has said who the number is from.

Good thinking...I've just given that a try, but this phone is so basic that it won't even let me do that, so the number remains shrouded in secrecy!

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Oh bugga! Is your phone a dumb phone? If your messages are saved to the SIM card, if anyone else in your household has a smart phone, pop your SIM in that and see if you can retrieve the message. I don't think forwarding the message would reveal the results, as the message would appear from you.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It's an incredibly dumb phone - from memory it retailed at around $30 from the supermarket, but I got it on special for $10!

I've paired it up with a $5 Aldi SIM card to use purely as a "registration" phone, so that companies and online services don't get my main number.

It's another good suggestion to try swapping the SIM into my smart phone, but they're actually different sized SIMS and I'm too lazy to muck around adapting it tonight. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow when I can ask eBay themselves.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

That sounds like a good plan! Let us know how you go.

My mum loves her dumb phone. I've told her she can get a base model smart phone for not much more than her dumb phone, but she's not interested. Can't get her off the iPad though! She like the simplicity of text and talk. Any apps she might want, like Facebook or eBay, she has on the iPad. She doesn't suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out), so is quite happy to go out without having to check Facebook every 10 minutes. She'll be 76 this year. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

So...eBay CS assure this message is not from eBay or its marketing team, and that any promotion offered to me would be via eBay messages or email.

So the alternative explanation is...nefarious...

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That sounds like a good plan! Let us know how you go.

My mum loves her dumb phone. I've told her she can get a base model smart phone for not much more than her dumb phone, but she's not interested. Can't get her off the iPad though! She like the simplicity of text and talk. Any apps she might want, like Facebook or eBay, she has on the iPad. She doesn't suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out), so is quite happy to go out without having to check Facebook every 10 minutes. She'll be 76 this year. 

I have a dumb phone and a dumb TV. Very happy with both. I do not text, I phone people.  I have no desire to join the Zombies, but would rather see what is going on around me and not bump into lamposts, or risk getting run over.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply