eBay now block bidding on Laserdiscs overseas

Currently unable to bid on Laserdiscs from overseas due to eBays restrictions on the importation of “Lasers”. 

eBay advised me to ask the seller to changed the title. That day there were 88,900 listings for Laserdiscs, eBay have a category for Movies/Laserdisc. Once the seller change the title to “Videodisc” I was able to bid.

eBay say there is nothing they can do about it, its part of the “system” filtering.

They could not answer any of my valid points after a 40min chat and 38min phone call the following day.

I’m waiting to see what happens on the next overseas LD I want to bid on....

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eBay try to leave as much automated as possible so it's one of the pitfalls.

You would think the system could differentiate between laser and laserdisc unless sellers are using two words for the latter.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Interesting that 'ebay' has a ban on the importation of something like this, yet they allow people to buy things like plants and seeds from China without any restrictions whatsoever.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

What makes you say that?

Lasers are definitely not allowed to be imported, but not all plants are forbidden imports.   If a plant or seed is not allowed, Customs will confiscate it.....there have been plenty of buyers howling about losing their plants/seeds.

I say good on ebay for stopping the importing of lasers.   I suspect that Australian Customs might have had a word.  It is a pity ebay cannot differentiate between lasers and laserdiscs though.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I thought all plant material was prohibited, unless one has the relevant permits. If that's not correct then I've learnt something today.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

No, not all plants and seeds are prohibited.

I have a friend in Queensland with a magnificent garden and she regularly gets plants and seeds from overseas.

There is a lot of paperwork involved but reputable overseas sellers are aware of this....they have to put the full botanical details etc.

I suspect that Customs are rather busy confiscating the rainbow rose seeds etc from China, rather than seeds from reputable overseas nurseries.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Ye olde Scun'thorpe problem... (the apostrophe is there in case Lithium, just like eBay, decides to filter that too.)

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply