how can a buyer be sure the seller is not bidding on their own item using a second profile

Hi Forum

Can someone please explain the protection for the buyer against a situation where the seller could be bidding up the price of their item by using a second profile.  

Regards,

SP

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

how can a buyer be sure the seller is not bidding on their own item using a second profile

go-tazz
Community Member

If you check my guide on shill bidding you'll see how to avoid them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/How-to-report-avoid-Shill-Bidding-Fraudulent-listings-/10000000043082549/...

To check for dummy bids,(shill bidding) just click on the number of bids and then on the bidders in turn.

If any of those bidders show up as having lots of bids with that seller and a high percentage of their bids are

also for that seller it's a good chance that they are shill bidding.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

As a one off you cant, only if a pattern of repeatedly doing it shows up.  

It is most common with casual sellers than regular sellers. Also risks sellers getting stuck with their own items along with selling fees for an item that didn't sell. 

Often a sign they started too low. if they had started higher they wouldn't do it, but then neither would you get it cheaper, so it doesn't really affect you as much as you perceive.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it too much, its just a reserve really so only bid what you want to.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

There's no risk of the seller getting stuck with the item fees as all they need to do is say they mutually agreed to cancel the transaction and the fees are refunded.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
There's no risk of the seller getting stuck with the item fees as all they need to do is say they mutually agreed to cancel the transaction and the fees are refunded.

True, but I would imagine eBay would be looking into the seller's activities if there were numerous mutual cancellations between a single bidder (or a small number of bidders) and the seller.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply