iPhone Serial or IMEI Number

I am looking at buying a second hand iPhone.  When I have looked locally I have never had issues with the seller providing me with the IMEI or Serial number of the phone so I can check whether its activiation lock is on or not, whether its a refurbished phone etc.  I have asked a seller on Ebay to please provide me with the serial number of their phone so I can check it out before placing a bid and they have responded saying they have been advised by Ebay not to give the serial number out.

Would this be correct?  It doesn't seem right to me as I don't see the issue with a seller giving the serial number out unless they have something they don't want you to know about the phone before buying it.

TIA

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

word of warning...never buy mobile phones off ebay

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I would never buy a used iphone on ebay or any other on line site where I couldn't check it out personally before paying.  While the serial number will not guarantee much of course the seller should give you the IMEI number, many sellers put it in the listing, and if they won't hit the back button and find another seller.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for the replys.  I have decided to forget buying the phone through Ebay.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply