payment sent to invalid paypal/email address

I won and paid for my item through paypal, turns out the seller has put the wrong email address. My payment status says unclaimed. She says she has received money through paypal for 2 other recent transactions so she must have put the correct email address for payment on those listings.

I haven't listed any items for sale myself in yonks so cannot remember the process...do you have to physically put the email address in yourself each listing or is the paypal account automatically connected to the listing?

When I look back at the ebay payment and am redirected to paypal- it says the transaction ID cannot be found- when I look at my payment history it does show the payment unclaimed.

My messages from her are coming through ebay.

If I cancel the paypal transaction how long does it take to get the money back into my bank, I paid by instant bank transfer.

Should she do something to make sure ebay/ or paypal has the correct payment details in the listing so I can pay through ebay and so feel I have some protection in my purchase? Its $80.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

First off - she shouldn't be referring to the successful transactions. They have no bearing on this one.

What you could suggest is for her to do a dummy relist of the item. That will show the EXACT Paypal address she used for the listing. She can cancel out once she's checked. For things like commas instead of periods, transposed characters, leaving off (or adding) .au to the address.

If the seller isn't shonky, then the problem is almost always due to a typo in the Paypal address on the listing. The outs are for you to cancel the transaction and the seller to send you an invoice FOR GOODS for the amount. Or the seller contacting Paypal once they have determined what the incorrect address was and seeing if they can fix it.

A cancellation will take a few days to return to your bank account.

At no time entertain a suggestion to pay by bank deposit instead. That will leave you with NO buyer protection. For $80 I certainly wouldn't risk it.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Just cancel the payment, as it is unclaimed there is nowhere for it to go back to as it has not been taken from your bank or card.

Ask the seller to send you a payment request through Paypal and pay using that, as long as you tick the box to say the payment is for goods you have exactly the same buyer protection you would have if you paid through ebay checkout.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

(Just a note that may help others) I have recently had a similar issue as a seller and discovered that my PayPal account was no longer linked to my eBay in account settings/payment information. I had not noticed the account being de-linked as it was functioning fine for purchases and previous sales had successful payments. When i checked all my "relisted" items, the email address of the eBay account is shown which is incorrect rather than the previously linked PayPal account.  

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

For goodness sake, did you bother to look at the date this thread was started.  I think not!!!  I beg you not to go back  to threads that are 7 YEARS OLD.  Information on ebay changes regularly and you post will not help anybody.   RIP phorum_junkie

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply