seller not giving promised combined postage

The scenario.."request a total from seller" for more than one item, need to commit to buy, then the red message "this seller does not offer combined postage" yet they state they do in the ad, quoting the price for additonal items. This has been discussed before with the conclusion that it is a glitch and happens with International sales.  Well, I am just wondering about that, because I had one in Australia a while back, (he was obviously not too bright by our conversations)  and now the UK. (just can't get it through here either, just denial)  I know this message will come up if they have selected "instant payment required". I don't seem to be able to convince these sellers that there is a problem even after sending them a copy of the message, just repeated instructions on how to request a total, which I could do if I was in a coma.  They don't seem to want to refund the difference after payment made either,  but just accept full amount for each item, and it's tough luck for the buyer. I am starting to think it is in their settings somewhere, and as they don't seem to want to check it out or contact eBay, I just wonder more and more if it is deliberate. I think I will complain if my three items don't arrive in separate parcels, after all that is what I paid for.  I am a seller too, and I would refund the buyer the difference if this happened to someone who bought from me, and I would get to the bottom of it pronto, and then if I couldn't fix it I would stop offering combined postage.

Please give me your opinions.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you confusing combined postage with combined postage discounts?

The seller can offer combined postage which means sending the items in the one package with no difference in the postage amount.

On the other hand they can offer combined postage discounts which means sending in the same parcel but with a discounted postage amount.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

As sellers, we offer combined postage and have never had instant payment required. 

However, we do not use Ebay's postage calculation system.

Every sale is different for us, and using an automated "one size fits all" calculator for extra items doesn't work for us.

So, we like our buyers to "request total from seller".  Unfortunately it doesn't always work, even for repeat and experienced buyers.

One transaction they are allowed to request a total, the next they get the red message you mentioned.

We just tell them to pay and we'll refund the excess as it's not their fault.  It's annoying to lose out on the fees, but each individual transaction is not a large enough amount to contact Ebay to have the fees re-credited.

It's not always the seller's fault, and they're probably sick of the continuing problem (as we are).

However, as a matter of good customer service (and due to our morals), we always refund the excess and have reaped the benefits with many repeat and continuing buyers.

Each seller can make their own decision, but we prefer to "do the right thing" even when Ebay can't get their act together.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The seller can offer combined postage which means sending the items in the one package with no difference in the postage amount.

On the other hand they can offer combined postage discounts which means sending in the same parcel but with a discounted postage amount.

Lyndal - this has come up more than once before, and I am surprised at your interpretation of the term 'combined postage'. WHY would any buyer want to have multiple items sent in the one package if they have had to pay for all the individual postages? If I had to pay a separate postage for each item in a multi-purchase buy, I would want each one sent separately. Otherwise the seller is making money out of the postage they should be passing onto their buyers. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Discounted postage costs for more than one item sent in the same parcel, as quoted by the seller.  e.g. Each item posts separately for $10, or buy more than one and get subsequent ones for $3 postage each, sent in the same parcel

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

If I had to pay a separate postage for each item in a multi-purchase buy, I would want each one sent separately. Otherwise the seller is making money out of the postage they should be passing onto their buyers. 

This is exactly my point, I am expecting three items from the UK, paid full postage for each.  Tried several times to "request a totat", and despite contacting the seller and getting absolutely nowhere, I decided I would have to pay for each separately or go without.  So I have paid for each separately.  No sympathy from the seller, or apology, and I bet they send them in the one parcel and pocket the savings. They should send three parcels, as that is what I have paid for. I cannot believe that I am their only buyer who is getting this red message, yet they seem to be in denial that there is a problem, insinuating that I am doing something wrong. I request totals all the time, as well as I get buyers requesting a total from me, and I've had no problems. Just one buyer who didn't realize she could request a total, or how to do it, I combined the items after checking with her that she didn't want them sent separately for some reason, and then I just refunded her the difference. Ok may have lost a little in fees, but too small to worry about.

This is the message I get, which indicates to me something in their settings.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@gumleaf_goodies wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Lyndal - this has come up more than once before, and I am surprised at your interpretation of the term 'combined postage'. WHY would any buyer want to have multiple items sent in the one package if they have had to pay for all the individual postages? If I had to pay a separate postage for each item in a multi-purchase buy, I would want each one sent separately. Otherwise the seller is making money out of the postage they should be passing onto their buyers. 

I know it has been brought up more than once and I still stand by what I have said.

It is not just my interpretation of combined postage.....when I first joined ebay it was always stressed that combined postage meant the items were posted together.  If a buyer wanted discounted postage they needed to ask the seller if they offered discounted postage.

Over the years it seems to have become accepted that combined postage means discounted postage but I am sure there are still long time sellers who don't see it that way.

As far as the sellers who state that they do offer postage discounts but the system says NO.....that has been happening for at least 4 years, nearly 5 years in fact.   Every Christmas I buy multiple pocket diaries from a large UK sellers who does offer postage discounts but never in 4 years have I ever had anything but the message that says the seller does not allow discounted postage.

Every year I contact him and he assures me that he offers discounts and his system is set up to allow them.

There is obviously something wrong with the ebay system but no amount of contacting them has ever seen anything done.  I now just pay the full postage....it is usually only about GBP1.50 over the discounted amount.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@gumleaf_goodies wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I know it has been brought up more than once and I still stand by what I have said.

It is not just my interpretation of combined postage.....when I first joined ebay it was always stressed that combined postage meant the items were posted together.  If a buyer wanted discounted postage they needed to ask the seller if they offered discounted postage.

Over the years it seems to have become accepted that combined postage means discounted postage but I am sure there are still long time sellers who don't see it that way.

As far as the sellers who state that they do offer postage discounts but the system says NO.....that has been happening for at least 4 years, nearly 5 years in fact.   Every Christmas I buy multiple pocket diaries from a large UK sellers who does offer postage discounts but never in 4 years have I ever had anything but the message that says the seller does not allow discounted postage.

Every year I contact him and he assures me that he offers discounts and his system is set up to allow them.

There is obviously something wrong with the ebay system but no amount of contacting them has ever seen anything done.  I now just pay the full postage....it is usually only about GBP1.50 over the discounted amount.

Not having been selling on Ebay as long as some others, we haven't heard this before.

We always interpreted "combined postage" as "combined postage discount", but understand that not everyone does.

The problem we have come across several times is another interpretation - that "combined postage" means "flat rate postage".  We have had sellers buyers expect us to send as many items as they feel like buying for a $1 postage cost  ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

my view on combined postage, buyer contacts seller before buying and asks the combined cost for postage of the particular items they want to buy.

unless the seller has clearly put some wording in the advert saying there is a reduction not just ebays sticking in something.

the seller may not even know ebay has added a 'contact seller for combined postage' message.

personally i like to charge the actual cost to post, i try not to take advantage of postage overcharges within reason.

but i sometimes get caught out under charging too.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@gumleaf_goodies,

I agree that there's a buyer perception very prevalent that "combined postage" = "discounted total postage", but in the strictest sense, that isn't what "combined postage" means. There are sellers who undoubtedly do focus upon the strict definition of that term, and merely because buyers often perceive "combined postage" to mean "discounted total postage" is no reason for buyers to be outraged because one may feel that the definition by some common usage ought to squash the definition by literal meaning.

Many sellers both can and do offer a reduced postage fee for multiple purchases. On eBay one will see this reflected in the postage and payments tab. But for some purchases, it isn't possible to combine - or at least, it's not possible to offer a discount for combining, because the total postage charge will itself go up as a result of weight, volume or both.

That's why I think buyers need to check that postage and payments tab, or ask the seller before bidding/buying - and to make sure that the question is very clear. "Do you offer a combined postage discount for multiple items? I am interested in buying [items no. xxx, yyy, zzz, and aaa] / [x quantities of item xxx]. Can you tell me what the total postage amount would be for these? I look forward to your reply, and thank you in advance" is clear, whereas "Do you combine postage?" or "Do you do combined postage?" is not (if the buyer is asking for a discount).

There will always be some sellers who aren't going to reduce postage, even if they can save costs by combining postage for a multiple item purchase. Presumably they will justify that on the basis of their having small margins, poor sales, ever-increasing total costs, the occasional sale where the quoted postage is actually under what it costs them, and/or the desire for maximum profit.

Some major / large sellers (both within eBay and external to it) offer flat postage costs irrespective of how many items are purchased. Some will offer free postage within Australia for orders over a particular dollar amount. Yet we know that those sellers are actually paying their couriers or Australia Post... and I'm not sure that there's any buyer in Australia who'd be contacting the company to say "No, you must not offer me free postage. Tell me the cost; I must pay you!"  No, we as buyers will assume that the seller has been able to rationalise their methods of charging postage.

In the same way... I as a buyer am not able to see into the nitty gritty of a small seller's costs and management, to decide for them how they should be handling their postage costs - even if I disagree with them. My remedy - if I disagree - is to not buy from them.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply