seller not responding

Hello, I bought a BIN item 3 days ago and contacted the seller twice to arrange pick up and cash of deilvery as it is located locally. I have had no response (I hope they are OK), but am curious to understand my obligations for how long I need to to wait before requesting a cancellation.

The feedback history indicates that they are not a regular seller, so maybe they are on holidays or forgot about the item.

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

seller not responding

@lefty_al,

Unfortunately, being left in limbo after having won a pick-up item is known to happen occasionally - and the buyer finds him/herself committed to purchase but without recourse to proceed any further.

In that situation, I've seen several buyers post on these boards that they waited, messaged, waited, and then paid by PayPal in the hope that this would spur on the seller (or get through to the seller where the sale notification and buyer messages apparently did not). I don't think I've ever seen that tactic work out. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

If the seller is unavailable - because of sickness, death, disaster, sudden emergency, secondment, alien abduction, technical meltdown, police interrogation, imprisonment, or surprise holiday to Venice laid on by unknown friendly billionaire - then all the communication in the world  (including payment via PayPal or some other means) won't reach him/her.

If the seller is dissatisfied with the price reached, all the communication in the world is unlikely to spur him/her into reluctantly completing the sale. (In this case, deliberately ignoring all communication would be the seller's passive refusal to proceed.) Even though failing to complete the sale is against eBay policy, some sellers (either through relative inexperience or through sheer haemadementia) just won't go through with a sale if they're not happy with the final price. Paying by PayPal is, again, unlikely to result in the buyer's desired outcome, and would be refunded, unclaimed, or ignored... C'est la vie.

What I would do in a similar situation is to send a last polite message to the seller, along the lines of

❝Dear [seller],

In relation to item number [xxx] which I won/purchased on xx/xx/xxxx, I'm a little concerned that I haven't been able to reach you to organise the purchase and pickup details. In particular, I wouldn't want to be the cause of any additional stress if you're currently going through an emergency situation - which is quite possible given the catastrophic bushfires over so much of Australia.

If you're able to, can you get in touch with me no later than xx/xx/xxxx? If I don't hear from you by then, I will assume that something is preventing you from being able to reply, and I will just conclude that the sale can't proceed. If you are able to respond and are still able to go ahead, I will be very happy to complete the purchase.

Kind regards,

[name]❞

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

seller not responding

I think you said it all.

Could be on holidays or forgotten. Or some members only go onto their computers 1-3 times a week.

Pick up items are generally expected to have had arrangements made within 7 days or at least some form of communication.

Nothing else you can do except wait.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

Depending on the location of the seller. They might be on holidays still. Or, as I for one, bought a set of stamps from a seller living in Blight VIc., last week. The township is under threat from bushfires around the Vic., Alpine region. The Police and the ADF has been knocking on doors after an evacauation warning was issued last Friday..  I don't believe the seller would have the time to worry about posting me my set of stamps any time soon nor am I expecting them to do so. My advice to all buyers, be patient, there are still many fires burning around the country yet.     

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

Thank you, too confirm no local fires.... but they may be helping out family etc etc in other areas.
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

If you haven't paid and the seller never gets back to you, then you don't need to do anything. If they don't do anything, they will lose the fees for the sale. You don't need to request a cancellation.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

If they have not gotten back to you at all by now and they don't look to be in any bushfire affected area, then most likely they either haven't bothered checking in to ebay or else they can't be bothered with pick up.

Just curious-was the item actually listed as pick up only?

Whether it was or not though, I'd expect a seller to get back to you within a few days of the sale. If they don't, then I'd let it hang unless they suddenly opened an unpaid item claim. 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

Hello, thanks for posting. Item was pick up only.

I understand that maybe they are on holiday or could be a volunteer firefighter, or there could be a dozen other reasons for not responding. What is making it frustrating is that the item is for my son and being a local pick up we thought it was the best deal at the time. Earlier in the day we had another seller who cancelled an auction after it finished(Same type of item) as they werent happy with the end price (I had winning bid). Then finding the local item was good so we could move on from losing the first item.

From a moral perspective I have committed to buying the item, but am now trying to work out how long I wait before moving on. I have sent 2 mesaages and a "Request Total" message. I figure even if I raise some sort of dispute/claim all that Ebay will do is send a message.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

Why would you send a Request Total.....it is local pickup only so all you have to pay is the amount of the end bid for the item.....no postage.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

To see if I could get a response.
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

seller not responding

If you haven't paid, there is no dispute you can open. You are clutching at straws. Something has gone wrong, and unfortunately, you may never know what. You can't force a seller to respond and you can't force a seller to sell you the item. I saw a person have a heart attack and die yesterday in the carpark at work, despite me commencing CPR immediately. It could have been your seller.

Was it an auction or buy it now? Can you give us the item number? No seller details, just the item number.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply