seller wont combine postage

I bid on 2 items that were being sold separately by the same seller, $6.95 postage each

in the item description it said "check out my other items I combine postage"

so i bidded on both items and won them, & I requested a combined invoice

the seller sent me an invoice charging $13.90 postage ($6.95 x 2)!!!!!

I have messaged the seller several times over the past few days requested a combined postage invoice, but no response

What to do?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

give them a few days, maybe they haven't gotten onto their computer to answer you.

If you don't hear from them or they raise a claim, I'd ring eBay. Your messages will show that you have tried to pay, so I would think that you would have a good chance at getting any strike removed.

It is very important though that you do not just dismiss this though and buy somewhere else, as the seller may try to hold you to the sale, which they can.

For all we know, they are just lousy communicators, so haven't told you, but can't work out how to adjust the postage cost. They prolly hit revise instead of send not knowing it changes back.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

The seller has sent you a combined postage invoice.

Shipping for one item was $6.95 which I assume is a parcel under 500g and no charge for packaging. Shipping two items may well make the parcel heavier than 500g. Depending on the seller's and buyer's postcodes and the weight and size of the parcel, the postage may be no cheaper to send the items together.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

combining postage means all items will be posted in one package.

it does NOT mean that there will be a postage discount, and as already pointed out, one at $6.95 does not mean it will be the same or cheaper to send two in one parcel where it could tip the weight over the 500gr into the next postage upgrade.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Did the seller at any time say they would discount for combined items?

If not then you should not have assumed they would charge any less.

If a seller does not state the amount of any discount then always ask before buying.

You can choose to uncombine the items and make two payments, that way the seller will have to send in two parcels or risk an item not received dispute for one of them plus they will have two flat rate Paypal fees to pay instead of one.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

combining postage means all items will be posted in one package.

it does NOT mean that there will be a postage discount, and as already pointed out, one at $6.95 does not mean it will be the same or cheaper to send two in one parcel where it could tip the weight over the 500gr into the next postage upgrade.-Putney

---------------------------------------------------------

I understand what you are saying, but in my opinion this seller is still not much chop.

First off, I would say 99% of buyers would assume combined postage to mean less postage cost. I think a lot of sellers also generally take it as that and in fact often ask buyers to ask for a combined total before paying.

Now, there would be cases where the postage cost is no less because the combined weight pushes it over a limit, but in that case, with a buyer asking for 'combined postage', surely a seller could communicate a bit better. They could easily explain that unfortunately the combined postage was going to cost the same in this instance.

To simply send an invoice off with the same amount, without any explanation and without any replies to messages, is confusing for the buyer and if I were them, I would mark communication down as one star.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

i weighed a similar item at home and the item weighed 200g, which means 2 of the items would weigh about 400g and would both fit in one 500g satchel,  I messaged this to the seller and they then sent me a revised invoice, I just fell a bit miffed that they issued me an invoice for 2 lots of posatge first up, didn't respond to my emails, & only sent me a combined invoice after several emails & several days.... anyway over now & i will not buy from that seller again

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Getting an invoice with 2 postage charges happens all the time so best to just forget that when you leave feedback. The poor communication is really your only valid complaint when leaving feedback because the postage issue was resolved.

It is important to be very fair when leaving feedback. Never do it when you feel annoyed if possible.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I would cancel the purchase unless they agreed to combine postage. You have every right to have combined postage. I have not struck that problem.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
I would cancel the purchase unless they agreed to combine postage. You have every right to have combined postage. I have not struck that problem.

michelle if you read the whole thread you will see that you do not have a ''right'' to have combined or discounted postage.

each purchase can / and often does / come with its own postal charge.

saying that, I personally as a seller offer discounted postage (note, discounted does not mean same as 'combined}

however, some times 2 items in 1 packet just about doubles the postage charged by Aust Post.

ebay do NOT require a seller to offer a discount for multiple purchases.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply