sellers tricking customers using bait pricing

njay22
Community Member

Hi,

I would like to complain about the feature that allows sellers to list multiple items in one listing - effectively tricking customers to click on their listings by using bait pricing techniques.

Say I want to buy a media player and it costs $30 - what sellers will do is list a usb cable for 0.99 cents and also a media player. So in search results the listing will say 0.99 to $30 -> this makes it hard to know what is the best price for a media player as you have to click on each listing and choose media player option to see the pricing. I think this practice should be stopped and all items in the listing should be same price.

It gets even more complicated if products are similarly priced. Eg. I am looking for an USB to VGA adapter. It costs around $5. But sellers are listing USB to HDMI adapter (say for $4.50) along with the USB to VGA adapter. So in search results it seems I have found a bargain at $4.50 for USB2VGA but ofcourse when I click on the listing and choose USB2VGA price changes to $5 - I have just wasted my time and also been misled.

Please consider this inconvenience and scam like practice's effects on members.

Also listed here https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Cheapest-product-Search-trick-used-by-sellers-causing-buyer...

I understand that some legit situations are there and maybe the legit situation can be handled by allowing only one product per listing but allowing common variations of the product (color, size, length, quantity). 

Allowing otherwise is allowing deceitful sellers from scamming ebay buyers and it is not a valid solution to just ignore listings that state a range of price.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You will need to complain to eBay. These boards are for members, and eBay employees neither read nor respond to posts on the boards.

You will also be wasting your time - there have been numerous complaints over the years and it's still happening.

Personally, I would set my target price a bit higher. I certainly wouldn't buy a 99c media player. It would probably be worth 99c.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I stay away from all listings with a price range.

e.g. 1.00 - 85.00

image host
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply