what to do when seller refuses to pay for return?

I started a return request on the 7th of Nov.

It was for a handbag from overseas, the size was not as described, much smaller than listed.

Seller accepted the return request almost immediately, but couldn't provide a shipping label.

He also sent me a message asking me to send the item back using "the cheapest postal service" available, he will then refund the item as well as postage cost after item arrives his place.

I find it very doggy....  do you guys agree? Shoudn't the seller provide return shipping cost to me first?

Anyway, a friend of mine told me to just wait, after few days I will be able to ask ebay to step in and solve this case.

It's been 4 days now, I still don't see any link that says " Ask us to step in ", all I can see is 'Mark as sent" and 'Contact Seller".

Is this normal? Or did I miss something?

Please give me some advise.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Overseas sellers can't send a shipping label as it would be for their postal service, not AP. Have eBay given you instructions to send the item back yet? Wait another couple of days to see if the option appears to escalate (ask eBay to step in and help). If you do send it back, it has to be sent tracked for your own protection or the seller could easily say it never arrived and you'll have no proof either way.

As for getting the return postage cost refunded, not always easy due to not being able to use a shipping label from the seller. Often you have to rely on their honestly. Someone with more experience in this will see this message tomorrow. Don't do anything until someone else gives better advice.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

eBay will not usually resolve a case in the buyer's favour if the item hasn't been returned - there are only a few circumstances where return is not required, but this wouldn't be one of them (it can happen, but there are also cases related here on the boards where the buyer didn't return due to the seller not being able to provide a postage-paid label, and eBay closing the case in the seller's favour).

In cases where the seller can not provide a return shipping label, and where the seller does not reimburse voluntarily, eBay can reimburse the shipping costs and charge it to the seller, if the seller has approved the return and shipping method / cost (this is important, and an unfortunate stumbling block in some cases, because while it protects the seller from buyers using unauthorised and costly shipping methods at the seller's expense, it can also stonewall a request, eg in one case I know of, a buyer wanted to use an express courier at a cost of several hundred dollars, which could have then been added to the seller's eBay fees when there were significantly cheaper options available that still would have provided the buyer with proof of return).

The seller seems to have approved a shipping method, so that's a plus - overseas postage that provides proof of post isn't cheap, though (eg depending on destination, the average is around $23 for a 500g parcel via Australia Post - a little less to Asia and New Zealand, and a bit more to European countries. It gets more expensive over 500g (eg $23.72 is the price to the US / Canada for a 500g parcel, and it's about $40 for a parcel 500g to 1kg). 

So, you will need to decide if you're willing to pay that up front, and either trust the seller will reimburse, or fight eBay to get it if they won't reimburse (some buyers have waited months for eBay to come through with return postage costs). 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

In these types of situation it is often a good idea to call ebay using the call back option and explain that the seller has not provided the cost of return shipping and ask how you should proceed. If they tell you to do the return and you will be reimbursed for the cost take a note of the person's name and the exact time of the call in case you do not get your money back and have to contact ebay again.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply