why do sellers offer free post then slug you a insurance fee of 9.99 per item afterwards

sick of sellers who offer free post then slug you an insurance fee of 9.99 from china 10 people all use same ad

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

why do sellers offer free post then slug you a insurance fee of 9.99 per item afterwards

They can only slug you with the charge if you agree to pay it, if you pay straight away then only the item cost (including postage if it is free) will be on the incvoice and if they ask for any more you tell them to go forth and multiply. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Totally agree with not paying extra charge, but also report it to ebay when it happens

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I bought a few things from China last week, all with 'free' postage. When they sent the invoice, they had added $US15 for postage. I sent them a message and asked about it and the response was I had bought quite a few things and that would mean a high postage cost due to weight.

I messaged them back and pointed out that if they offer free postage, they can't then add a postage cost post sale. They insisted I had to pay it, so I sent them the link in the eBay policies where it states that you can't add a cost post sale. I received a new invoice pretty quickly with the postage cost removed.

I then wondered how many unsuspecting buyers they had caught out with this postage cost added post sale.

To find that policy, http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html then open Shipping and Handling Costs, then it's under free postage at the bottom of that section.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

With multiple purchases made from sellers from overseas often there appears a postal charge on items that have free postage on the listings and I think it just relates to items being sent to the USA , but the option to select "free postage" upon paying is also there so just select that .

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

There was no option in my invoice to select free postage. It was $15 total.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply