New resident

Seemed to have acquired a new lodger - who rudely evicted the resident mice and maybe a rat or two

Cavandanny_rev1.jpg

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

New resident

"Panther Cat" found it's owner so last picture of him , probably twice as large now.... 

PantherCat.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

New resident

Oh my goodness, he/she is gorgeous! Is it your cat?

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

@simone4010 wrote:

Oh my goodness, he/she is gorgeous! Is it your cat?

No , he is a squatter , no collar and does not answer to "puss", but earns his keep as no more mice around, usually the cold weather drives them indoors but not now .( I do reward him with commercial cat meals and cows milk ) 

Anyhow the cat is free at all times having found a home under the house - but i have made an effort to find the owner , almost caught him in a borrowed cat carrier so as to get any id chip read for owner details but i did not secure the door properly - so now he is sulking under the house during daylight hours ( Maybe bad memories of being previously captive ?) 

I am not game to actually pick him up - he is at ease when i am around , or was , but I do not fancy being scratched and bitten by a possibly emotionally scarred and panicking tom cat 

But he is quite photogenic - so a good subject for my newly acquired old digital camera, with some soft focus editing etc

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

He looks too beautiful to be a stray. Is he a tom cat?

Last year I thought I'd found a stray. He would hang around our house all hours of the day and night. I would feed him and give him cuddles.  A few weeks after he turned up with a collar with a bell on it so then I knew he wasn't a stray. I nicknamed him Tinker bell (Tinky for short). When I did find out who owned him (they live 9 houses down the side street), I told them what I called him. They also started calling him Tinky. His real name was puss lol.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

@simone4010 wrote:

He looks too beautiful to be a stray. Is he a tom cat?

Last year I thought I'd found a stray. He would hang around our house all hours of the day and night. I would feed him and give him cuddles.  A few weeks after he turned up with a collar with a bell on it so then I knew he wasn't a stray. I nicknamed him Tinker bell (Tinky for short). When I did find out who owned him (they live 9 houses down the side street), I told them what I called him. They also started calling him Tinky. His real name was puss lol.

I get the impression is a tom cat - i am just not so interested nor inclined to make a definitive clinical examination, and anyhow is to reclusive now

He definitely resides under my current place of residence but who knows , could be owned by a neighbour . A proper cat trap is to be arranged , so in time if it has an ID chip then I will find out - if not there are a few enquirers at the moment

Cat can not stay here permanently as the home owner does not want any captive or dependent animals around - although for me I do not mind as now I now sleep at night knowing no mice will be gnawing at my teeth 

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

Rogespeed, It's easy to tell if he's a tom from behind but if you can't get close to him, that might prove difficult. He looks too well cared for to be a tom. Personally I think he's lost and that's why he's quite frightened. Maybe his owner was moving and tried to put him in a cage and he escaped.

I have looked at lost and found pet Facebook pages for Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA (not sure what state you live in) but couldnt find any cat that looked like him. Maybe you could look on your local council site at their lost and found pet section.  If his owner is not found, Im sure there would be a lot of takers for him. He's absolutely beautiful. Im glad he's assisting you in a peaceful night's sleep.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

Wow he's a good looking cat. If nobody owns him then I guess you're stuck with him.  Well, I guess the mice and the rats had to go. I'd say he'd be a welcome addition.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

@simone4010 wrote:

Rogespeed, It's easy to tell if he's a tom from behind but if you can't get close to him, that might prove difficult. He looks too well cared for to be a tom. Personally I think he's lost and that's why he's quite frightened. Maybe his owner was moving and tried to put him in a cage and he escaped.

I have looked at lost and found pet Facebook pages for Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA (not sure what state you live in) but couldnt find any cat that looked like him. Maybe you could look on your local council site at their lost and found pet section.  If his owner is not found, Im sure there would be a lot of takers for him. He's absolutely beautiful. Im glad he's assisting you in a peaceful night's sleep.

He is much more furry than it looks as the fur is very smooth texture - but my considered opinion is it is a tom cat 

The rodents seem to live under the house, maybe in burrows in dirt , and raid the house at night - so become easy targets to a patient hungry cat . The magpies still visit but keep their distance from the varandah.

The cat carrier has been returned and today He sat briefly on the back patio warm concrete and from where i was sitting with my back to the sun , his eyes were glowing in the mid afternoon warm sunlight - so i must have my camera ready next time 

I consider him to be a wild creature , and I like the presence of harmless wild creatures living without concerns around the property

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

@4channel wrote:

Wow he's a good looking cat. If nobody owns him then I guess you're stuck with him.  Well, I guess the mice and the rats had to go. I'd say he'd be a welcome addition.

He has earned his keep - I consider him to be wild , like as in independent , but also there must be an owner out there unless he was abandoned - I am ok with him returning to the owner 

In the mean time I feed him commercial cat food and cow's milk , morning and mid afternoon 

He seems to be staying around the house , which is a good thing as wandering cats do not seem to last long in my locality

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

New resident

Do you talk to him while he is eating?  Years ago I started feeding a stray cat (he was definitely a stray - very dirty, ill and very thin) and I found if I stayed at a good distance while he ate the food I gave him and talked softly to him, he began to trust me more and more.

He eventually joined my feline household (got the snip from the vet, got antibiotics and a a good clean and brushing)....and I ended up with a cat that was happy indoors and very friendly.  He wasn't a young cat and he must have been on his own for a long time...he never grasped the concept of playing.

But here's my note of caution.  If he has a home I hope you find out the details and let them know.  Hopefully they will still want him.  He may depend on you feeding him so what are you going to do if the house owner discovers him?  Stop caring for him and chase him away?  In my experience, if you love cats and you start feeding a stray cat....you've now got a cat.  It's cruel to suddenly desert them.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply
Group details
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
121 members Open Group Since ‎03-07-2013 08:14 PM
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.