Help!!! Crinium Grubs in my Hippies

Yesterday my lovely hippeastrums came under serious attack from Crinium Grubs.  I have pull off and squished as many as I could, have cut any suspect leaves off, have rescued a few bulbs, that may or may not make it but what can I spray on the hippies. Has anyone used Molasses and water to prevent these grubs?

I would prefer not to use chemicals if at all possible.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Did a search and found this - 

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled in the necks of bulbs will inhibit Crinum Grubs from eating their way down into the bulb, thus preventing them from eating a hole through the bulb which will eventually rot and die.
When the first leaves appear sprinkle a reasonable amount between the leaves.
You will need to reapply after rain or watering. The powder eventually enhances the quality of the earth, adding trace elements. I use a plastic detergent bottle to puff the diotomaceous earth on and around the plants. While diatomaceous earth is not harmful to humans or animals it is adviseable to take care while applying. This product has not caused any ill effects to our resident birds or bees of all descriptions, just helped them, to help me maintain a healthy balance of insects in the garden.

Also as you say, molasses is good. Half a cup to 9 litres of water and sprayed on. Plants love it but bugs don't.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

thanks Kopes, I think I have picked off and squished all of them now. They only got to one bulb the rest of the damage was leaves only. Of course the bulb they did get was one that I can't replace in a big hurry. It's been so wet and humid here, ideal conditions for them. Have been going mad with the molasses spray.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

One spray I've succesfully used for different "bugs" has been to put the first discharge when washing clothes

into a bucket and then putting it into a spray bottle.

It controls thrip and cabbage moth,(so I presume it would deter others).

It's also biodegradable and can be re-applied after rain,good.gif

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

How interesting.I got these ghastly devils on my crinum bulbs 2 weeks ago.used pyrethum spray   but its expensive.Will get mollasas tommorow and try that as im worried  they may be on other plants and molasas and water will be cheap id say.

Funny enough I had never seen or heard of them till last year there were thousands  on  the clivias in a local park .pretty things but hungry. Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply