Brass Epergnes

I am hoping someone can give me an approximate date on this pair of very large, heavy brass epergnes, I am guessing around 1900, but hopefully someone will know a bit more than me about brass - I know virtually nothing about it.

Many thanks in advance

Rae

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Brass Epergnes

i can see them in a florists window or a undertakers given the size. maybe an office building or bank foyer. they look 1930's or maybe earlier to me, but thats just the impression i get. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Brass Epergnes

I'd have to agree with Lakeland on this one, 1930's - 40s.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Brass Epergnes

I actually thought they were from a church - and friend has confirmed they have the same or very similar in her church that have been there since she was a small child, so 50-60 years at least. She is having a look next weekend to see if they are engraved with anything.

thanks for the input

cheers

Rae

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Brass Epergnes

Beat me to it. My grandfather was the verger at the local C of E, and in the 1950's I helped him with adding water to the vases and removing dead flowers. These look very familiar. Brass / brass plated church ornaments were quite popular; I guess they were cheaper than silver plate and there was usually a cohort of nice ladies who could be relied upon to keep them polished. I would say these could have been introduced any time after about 1910. In another house we had a pair of tall brass plated torchรจre type pedestals which would have been perfect for holding such an epergne, somewhere up the front near the altar. We bought those from a church "clearance" sale.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Brass Epergnes

makes sense, they dont look like they are for use in a home, plus the 3 trumpets (3 being a popular number in a church, trinity etc.)

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply