Coin markings

Can anyone inform what the letters "TV" mean on a coin please, along with the "P" for perth  Mint.??

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Coin markings

I have been informed that the letters "TV "stand for the coin designers initials.

Thank you all.

Regards.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Coin markings

i would say one dollar coin with  television   i am guessing   you are talking about

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Coin markings

I not sure, but it may mean Transvestite.  Sorry, couldn't help myself with that one. I'm sure someone with knowledge of coins will help out.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Coin markings

What is the coin?

image host
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Coin markings

In 2006, the Royal Australian Mint struck a non-circulating commemorative $1 coin for the 50th anniversary of television in Australia. This was the "mint your own" design for 2006, so it comes with numerous different "mintmarks and privy marks" - B for Brisbane, M for Melbourne, etc. This particular coin was also issued with a "TV" privy mark. In this instance, "TV" does not stand for anything or anywhere in particular. They were made in Canberra and this coin does not come with a "C for Canberra" variety. So in that sense, "TV" stands for "Canberra".

"P" does indeed stand for "Perth", and usually indicates a Perth Mint product. The "mint your own dollar" circus never made it all the way to Perth, so MYO dollars don't come in a "P" variety. With one exception: in 2010, the mint made (in Canberra) a set of eight privy-marked coins with each of the capital city initials (C, S, B, M, P, A, D, H), sold in two sets of four coins as well as silver proofs. This is the only "P for Perth" coin struck by the RAM that I am aware of.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Coin markings

I have been informed that the letters "TV "stand for the coin designers initials.

Thank you all.

Regards.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Coin markings

Yes, I believe there are some coins where this is true, too. For example, the 2014 Perth Mint Year of the Horse bullion coins were designed by a Mr.Tom Vaughan and his initails appear on those coins; other artists designed other coins in this series.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply