German "Marie Louise" Handpainted 30cm Wall Plate.

Hoping someone might be able to confirm, debunk or add to information I have gleaned about this plate which we recently acquired and are planning to list.

The backmarkings include [Fine Ceramics, Marie Louise, Handpainted, Germany] - see attached pic.  There is also a printed [20] and an impressed [4574].  The plate has a glossy painted relief design of a cottage (see pic on next post as I don't know how to put up more than one pic per post).

Info I have found is:-

1) a 3yo answer to a question on justanswer.com (http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/7j97c-plate-marie-louise-fine-ceramics-handpainted-germany.html) about a plate with same backmarks but different numbers which said "....Your wall plate was made between 1880 and 1921. It is majolica, a tin-glazed pottery......".

2) Ebay item 322115650342 for a "Marie Louise" wall plate (same backmarks but again different numbers) which claims:- "..This vintage..........plate was first made by the Villeroy & Boch majolica factory in Schramberg, Germany in the early 1900's. The factory was sold and has passed through several hands."

3) Found a site about the Schramberg pottery (http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/baden/schramberg-01/index.php) which mentions Villeroy & Boch's ownership 1883 -1912 but not a brand "Marie Louise".

BUT - I can't find any other info on "Marie Louise" that substantiates/confirms the claims made in 1) and 2) above nor any that sheds light on "Marie Louise" otherwise.

My interest goes beyond just listing it - personal interest and satisfaction is involved - could not justify the time I have already spent (nor that I am hoping you might spend!) in dollar terms as, regardless of provenance, it is prob worth relatively little!

Thank you to anyone reading this.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Picture of plate front.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

3) Found a site about the Schramberg pottery (http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/baden/schramberg-01/index.php) which mentions Villeroy & Boch's ownership 1883 -1912 but not a brand "Marie Louise".

BUT - I can't find any other info on "Marie Louise" that substantiates/confirms the claims made in 1) and 2) above nor any that sheds light on "Marie Louise" otherwise.

That site porcelainmarksandmore is the very best I know for German ceramic info - none of the backstamps they show for Schramberg look the vaguest bit like your one. I can see why people might think Marie Louise plates are SMF Schramberg - they do look similar - though perhaps not quite the quality. If you had the time or inclination you could work your way through the many pages of backstamps shown on this excellent web site in the hope of finding something that looks similar. (Since Germany would be your best clue.)

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thankyou siddieswans - I'll investigate that website more fully.  Julie.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thankyou twyngwyn - well found; wish they had put their sources for Schramberg and 1970s!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thing is, the Internet can be a great source of misinformation. Someone identifies item X as blah blah blah. (Maybe it's just an inspired guess, maybe something with more provenance.)  Then every time someone Googles "item X" they find "blah blah blah". All of a sudden there are a dozen item Xs described as blah blah blah. So you'd be mad not to believe it.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

Thing is, the Internet can be a great source of misinformation. Someone identifies item X as blah blah blah. (Maybe it's just an inspired guess, maybe something with more provenance.)  Then every time someone Googles "item X" they find "blah blah blah". All of a sudden there are a dozen item Xs described as blah blah blah. So you'd be mad not to believe it.

I know! Couldn't agree more.  It is the modern version of Chinese Whispers.

The internet can seduce one into being an "instant expert" - will just continue to be discerning about what might be true and look for supporting evidence as I have little first hand knowledge/expertise with most of these types of things. 

It is a lot of fun though.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

mikalgree0
Community Member

Hi I have number 13 of this plate and I’m also struggling. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply