Help please with mystery blue vase - signed and Aussie?

Hi - I've bought this very nice blue vase. The shape reminds me of Newtone or Mashman, but those that know me know that this isn't my area.

It is signed, but very indistinct... I think is says "Norman Wilk,,, something". It's dated - I'm pretty sure 1946.  Ford has a Jeffrey Wilkinson, and while the writing is similar, I think can't wriggle the first name into Jeffrey. Any ideas?

Thanks

Fi

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hello Fi,

I typed wilkinson norman pottery in a Google search and there is a link but I couldn't open it.  Maybe you can. 

All I could read was Blind, deaf ex-serviceman Norman Wilkinson has his own pottery business. Australia. ... War veteran Norman Wilkinson starts a pottery business. Australia.

Di.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

if you take out the word pottery from the search and just search the artist Norman Wilkinson you will find he is British. He did a lot of camouflaged ships and well as other art. I don't know if he made this one.

Terri
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I would think the words blind, deaf, war veteran, has his own pottery business, starts a pottery business and Australia are key words  :-p.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks Di and Terri - I obviously deserve a smack for not googling well enough myself!! I can't open that link either Di, but did also find a link to an article in an Adventist newslettter (link below), which confirms that he was a disabled serviceman (deaf AND blind in two separate incidents - poor fellow).  It's a very nice pot, and clearly he had great touch. Not sure it's the same person as the British artist as he was disabled at the age of 19.

http://docs.adventistarchives.org/docs/AAR/AAR19580602-V62-22__B.pdf?q=docs/AAR/AAR19580602-V62-22__B.pdf

Fi

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

hi there, I actually have a round type trough vase with the same makers mark, Norman Wilkinson 1947, a Google search has found this was made by an blinded and deaf ex Australian serviceman that stared a pottery business in Australia after the war, disabled from injuries suffered in the war he started a successful pottery busines, numerous types of wares from vases to trough vases, there is an old archival video on the internet that shows him at work, what a great story.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply