Help with identifying a makers mark on gold locket

image.jpegIs anyone able to help me identify this makers mark on the back of this locket.? 

The locket is at least 50 years old and I believe came from Scotland / UK

Thankyou 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

As this is 9ct LINED (that is a coating of 9ct gold over a base metal) it is not properly speaking a hallmark - just a maker's stamp or mark. It is mark I have seen before here in Oz - 9ct lined (often over silver) was quite commonly used here say 1930s - 1950s even 60s. Often seen on lockets (like this) or pendants with glass stones. None of my reference books mention who HP could be - if the ring Carter's shows here has the same mark

9ct gold and red simulant ring, marked 9ct H P, bird. Approx weight 3.8 grams, ring size O. Tests as 9ct

then the design certainly suggests Oz manufacture. But there were lots and lots of small manufacturing jewellers in that time frame. Sorry I can't help.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thankyou so much ! That is a fantastic amount of information and answers all of my questions, thank you !

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As this is 9ct LINED (that is a coating of 9ct gold over a base metal) it is not properly speaking a hallmark - just a maker's stamp or mark. It is mark I have seen before here in Oz - 9ct lined (often over silver) was quite commonly used here say 1930s - 1950s even 60s. Often seen on lockets (like this) or pendants with glass stones. None of my reference books mention who HP could be - if the ring Carter's shows here has the same mark

9ct gold and red simulant ring, marked 9ct H P, bird. Approx weight 3.8 grams, ring size O. Tests as 9ct

then the design certainly suggests Oz manufacture. But there were lots and lots of small manufacturing jewellers in that time frame. Sorry I can't help.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thankyou so much ! That is a fantastic amount of information and answers all of my questions, thank you !

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

ash.irvin
Community Member

Hello, did you ever find the maker of the pendant, I have a cameo locket from the same maker but unable to work out who made it and where it came from.

IMG_6461.jpeg

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Apart from the fact this is 5 years down the track - did you read any of the responses. ??

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply