How common are these .

pics 028.jpgpics 027.jpg

i know at least one poster collects documents/ ephemera . the question i have is one of rarity i guess. is this document desirable enough to pass on to a collection where it would be displayed rather than sitting away in storage here  ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How common are these .

hi     you would be best to send it to the musem at caulfield  of there abouts 

i work at a small rural one and we have a few  and they will be best of at a museum then the small price you will get on the bay

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

pics 026.jpg

i thought i'd include these in the thread as well, the other sides are of course personal letters. i assume the postmarks are relatively common compared to most (ballarat and ballarat east)

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

@4725shane wrote:

i work at a small rural one and we have a few  and they will be best of at a museum then the small price you will get on the bay

i'd never thought of selling it on ebay really.  the democracy musuem may have some i'm not sure .thanks.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

@lakeland27 wrote:

@4725shane wrote:

i'd never thought of selling it on ebay really.  the democracy musuem may have some i'm not sure .thanks.

Silly (or mercenary) as it may sound, I always think the best way to get it to someone who cares, is to list it on eBay. I have sold to museums, large and small, (including the Democracy Museum); such people are always on the look-out for things. I have only once had a museum ask me to donate something, rather than sell it to them; and I really think that was someone asking off their own bat, rather than an official approach. If you put all the important info in the title - something like Elector's Right Certificate Caulfield East Victoria 1909 - (no doubt you can do better) - if someone is looking for something like that, they will find it. If it goes to a collector, rather than a museum - so be it. If it is REALLY rare, an institution will come out on top.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

thanks for that,  i doubt i'd be able to top that description though. Smiley Happy

i sold Lord McAlpine some painted barossa furniture once many years ago, he was buying up everything in sight back then. One of my near neighbors was seriously put out in regard to a Victorian stg silver tea service she offered a museum on loan, it sat in storage for more than ten years . after she inquired as to why , they told her they had quite a number of them and it appeared to have been sold off.  Smiley Surprised she was most unhappy.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

LL this is a gender specific form, was there one for a male do you know, or only for female voters

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

Sorry LL forgot to add that if you do decide to post it, where would you post it as I am interested in these documents

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

@jean2579 wrote:

LL this is a gender specific form, was there one for a male do you know, or only for female voters

hi Smiley Happy yes it is as it says 'womanhood' i also think it was the first election where women had the vote in victoria. i'm undecided if i'm going to sell it or not at this stage. if i do i'll let you know.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

How common are these .

@lakeland27 wrote:

@jean2579 wrote:

hi Smiley Happy yes it is as it says 'womanhood' i also think it was the first election where women had the vote in victoria. i'm undecided if i'm going to sell it or not at this stage. if i do i'll let you know.

Probably not used at all? From Googling women were given the right to vote in Vic "in 1908" - there was a State election 29 Dec 1908 so you would assume women voted then. The next State election was not until 16 Nov 1911 - as this right expired 1st Nov 1911, the holder would have had to renew to vote then.  All very interesting. As this is  no 39805, and only dated 29 Apr 1909, it would appear that a lot of women were keen to take up their right to vote.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply