I need help in identifying what this Chinese lady figurine is made of.

Hi. This figurine has me a bit stumped. It feels lighter than I would imagine for bone, but

the bottom of the robe feels rough and very bone like.  Could it be faux bone, or faux ivory,

or plastic.  I dont want to stick a hot pin into it to check.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Real ivory would not be on a wood stand, it would be signed to the base or back. So could be just bone or most likely Resin.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks. I'll have to do some research into how to tell resin from bone.  I can usually identify resin, this just feels a bit different.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I think bone is quite lightweight compared with early plastics.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I have finally decided to do the hot pin test on the rough end at the bottom of the robe.  I couldn't

get it to go in or leave a mark at all. Does anyone know if this means it is bone, or if you cant

make a dent in resin either?

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

It feels lighter than I would imagine for bone

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Ivory-from-Bone

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I have finally decided to do the hot pin test on the rough end at the bottom of the robe.  I couldn't

get it to go in or leave a mark at all. Does anyone know if this means it is bone, or if you cant

make a dent in resin either?

if it were plastic the (red) hot pin would definitely make an impression and smell like burning rubber/plastic at the same time. ivorine and other plastics used for this purpose are heavier than ivory or bone for the same mass.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks everyone.  I have looked through all the links, and quite a few more.  I weighed it, and it only weighs about 125g.

Under magnification, there are no lines etc, but many sort of pock marks, and quite a lot of

joins. Glue is just visible in one or two places.. Hard to imagine it being broken in so many

places, and then being glued back together.  I was thinking perhaps bone, but it is so light,

I'm still at a loss really!

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Perhaps possibly xylonite?

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply