ID for T Limoge porcelain item please fake or not

Hallo it appears I have inadvertently sold a piece of porcelain as Limoges -  the buyer  told me I had no shame and that it was a fake ($14 paid). I have apologised for selling a fake (not for having no shame, I did not appreciate that remark!) and cancelled the transaction. It is a little jug, approx 11cm high. But to set MY mind at peace, can Limoges enthusiasts shed some light on what appears to be a fake (where do these come from?). Sadly, I bought it some years ago after being told it was Limoges. Live and learn! 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

i'm no expert either , is this real ? dees 051.JPGdees 051.JPG

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Well I think the first give-away is that LIMOGES is an area in France, rather than a factory. Your stamp says LIMOGE. I believe most fake Limoges comes from China these days. If a stamp says Limoges China it means made in China. Or alternatively Limoges can be slightly mis-spelt (as yours was.)

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@lakeland27 wrote:

i'm no expert either , is this real ? dees 051.JPGdees 051.JPG

I believe this is a mark of the Haviland factory - GDA Limoges (Gerard, Duffraisseix & Abbott). Yours is refrred to as the "green wreath mark" which it appears was used 1900-1953. Not all genuine Limoges is of great value - I believe there were about 50 factories in the Limoges area producing in the 1920's.  And of course production goes on today. Vintage Limoges should be of nice quality, light in weight, and with a thin almost translucent feel. Sadly probably the same cannot be said of modern day fakes.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@maroubramagpies wrote:

Hallo it appears I have inadvertently sold a piece of porcelain as Limoges -  the buyer  told me I had no shame and that it was a fake ($14 paid). I have apologised for selling a fake (not for having no shame, I did not appreciate that remark!) and cancelled the transaction. It is a little jug, approx 11cm high. But to set MY mind at peace, can Limoges enthusiasts shed some light on what appears to be a fake (where do these come from?). Sadly, I bought it some years ago after being told it was Limoges. Live and learn! 

I also meant to say that there was no call for your buyer to be so aggressive or nasty. A simple request for a refund / cancellation would have done. We have all made mistakes in selling - no-one can be perfect or have infinite knowledge. I do try to research what I sell, but have made some howlers during my time. Unfortunately there is a breed of buyer who feels that aggressiveness is the best way of their achieving a postive outcome (or perhaps it just makes them feel better.)  Just shrug your shoulders and move on. If they leave you negative feedback just reply calmly that a full refund was given. It's all you can do.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks. No refund was needed as she contacted me immediately after auction end saying she wanted to cancel it, then saying she wanted me to cancel it. Yes will move on; she has a place on my blocked bidders list. I guarantee she will run foul of other sellers with her attitude
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

thanks siddieswans Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

the link above shows the exact marking on the underneath of my disputed item

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Someone else who may have been confused, though I suspect from the price they weren't really

I think this is one of the genuine back stamps

t.limoges.jpg

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply