Mystery building Newcastle NSW area c1930 help needed

Any Newcastle NSW folk out there? I have a very nice tin pin with a picture of a building – the badge maker is Davies & Cannington Pty Ltd.

DSCN7191-crop.JPG

As they were a Newcastle firm, it makes sense that it would show a local building. The architecture is reminiscent of a Church but there are no crosses - so maybe it’s a funeral home or mausoleum, crematorium? The architectural style says Between the Wars to me – 1930s, 1940s. There are some similarities to Corpus Christ at Waratah, and St Columbans at Mayfield. It seems a strange thing to celebrating with a tin pin. It will be for sale so it would be nice to be able to identify it. Any help appreciated; I have Googled without success.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Trying to think of the reason for the pin.

Possibly 'save this building' gathering/rally ?

Or fund raising for a restoration as that badge company seemed to have made badges for fund raising.

They appear in a book - 

2016 Australia's Badge Makers: Australian Badge Guide: Australia's social and cultural history as told in its fundraising badges

image host
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Yes I know they are listed in that book (excellent book, I should buy it).

The image here seems to be of a brand new building - believe me, it is an old tin pin, I think it would be contemporary with a 1930s 1940s building. I can only imagine it is to celebrate the building / opening of whatever building it is. The fact that it doesn't need to be named would seem to indicate that it was well-known (at the time)??

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply