Need help with a Steiner violin 146 years old

pnc75
Community Member

Hi all,

I have an old violin, in fact it's 146 years old. It has been handed down in our family for many generations, and the time has come to take it out of the cupboard that it's been residing in for years and pass it on to someone who appreciates such things. 

It's still in its case but has no strings, nor do the bows although both bows are there in the lid. 

My problem is I have no idea where to start to get some idea of its value, whether it be $50, less, or $500 or more, so am hoping that someone here can steer me into some sort of direction. We live in Brisbane, if that helps. 

Needless to say we have googled around, but all that I can find are in better condition with strings etc and have been restored. I'm attaching some photos which might help.

A huge in advance thank you to anyone who replies. IMG_3959.JPGIMG_3965.JPGIMG_3963.JPGIMG_3968.JPGIMG_3957.JPG

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nice shape, respectable 19th century copy, condition problematic. The bridge area looks as though it’s suffered somewhat in storage.

Without strings and a strung bow so that you can assess the sound, it’s really impossible to say much… You might want to take it to a luthier.

In the condition it is, I don’t think you would get much interest. I can’t in good conscience indicate a price… I’m sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'd be contacting someone like this :

Ilja Grawert – Violin maker & Son… We are located in Brisbane/ The Gap and Whitsundays/Australia. As experts in the new making, restoration, repairs and appraisal & sales of bowed stringed instruments and their accessories, we are working together with the musician to find the perfect solution for you and your instrument, applying 40 years of professional experience as violin makers at our workbench producing highest quality outcome. Fine violins, violas, cellos & double basses in all price ranges are available all set-up with the famous ‘Ilja Grawert deluxe set-up’ to ensure best playability and sound. Bespoke instruments, special orders and set-ups are available. Please feel free to contact us, browse our growing online shop or read about our current projects and blog.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Many thanks, dom. Have made contact with them, and also a couple of similar places I found in Brisbane. Will let you know if I hear anything. Thank you so much for your time and input. very much appreciated. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Nice shape, respectable 19th century copy, condition problematic. The bridge area looks as though it’s suffered somewhat in storage.

Without strings and a strung bow so that you can assess the sound, it’s really impossible to say much… You might want to take it to a luthier.

In the condition it is, I don’t think you would get much interest. I can’t in good conscience indicate a price… I’m sorry.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks, Contessa. appreciate your time. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Just an up - I actually love it - and I'd probably mount it with bows - and hang it.

Sell the case. lol

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Want to buy it? Haha, that's a poor attempt at a joke. 🙂

Actually, on a positive note, I have found a violin seller who has a luthier who is willing to give me an appraisal at no cost, so will try to fit that in during the next couple of weeks, as health etc allows. Will report back when it's done. 🙂

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I'm actually into - bows - I do archery. LOL

An Italian left handed bow hangs where I can get it.

Good luck with the expert - looking forward to hearing.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

Just an update as promised. 🙂  I took Contessa's advice and found a very knowledgeable, friendly luthier. Dear old violin not worth anything, however I found a person on gumtree who wants old stringed instruments that need repair. He's delighted to have it and I'm delighted that he wants it 🙂

Thank you all again for your help. I am most grateful.  🙂

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I’m glad to hear the tail end of it!

It’s obviously going to a good home.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply