Proof Shilling

301134983787 Would you consider this a proof strike?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Proof Shilling

Unless all those marks are on the actual holder then no I wouldn't consider it a proof strike as a proof coin must not have any marks on it.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

A proof coin is made using special dies and highly polished metal. It is struck several times. Its finished state is Proof.

A proof coin which has been handled, dropped or marked is technically still a proof strike - just not in Proof condition.

Simple answer- open a RAM Proof coin product , drop it on the ground, pick it up. Its still a proof struck coin in now circulated condition.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

It might still be proof struck and now circulated but you won't see me buying it.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

Just looks like an old damage shilling to me.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

nice coin  not a proof the feild in the back  or the flat parts behind the ram are not polished enough to have been from a proof die

would be a nice unc coin  all the high parts are ok of these photos  just not good enough for proof

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

Thanks to all for your comments although I am surprised no one mentioned the poor strike on the reverse rim. 

This coin sold for $46 which is way too much I'm thinking. And no it is not a proof strike and never was.

Makes you wonder about the integrity of the seller who has too much experience to not to know the truth. His response when questioned was " Full refund always guaranteed". I would not be surprised to see that occur.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Proof Shilling

I agree that this is not, and never was a "proof".
I can't explain the state of the reverse-rim - looks like an uneven strike, but perhaps other explanations are possible.

The sparkling "patina", makes me wonder whether it has been "whizzed" as our American friends would say.

Quote:  "A proof coin which has been handled, dropped or marked is technically still a proof strike - just not in Proof condition.  

... Its still a proof struck coin in now circulated condition."

I think that the usual term for this situation is to refer to the coin as an "impaired proof", rather than circulated.

The problem with selling misdescribed coins - inadvertantly or deliberately - is that the novice buyer might not find out the error until years later, when she/he attempts to sell the item.  So, a full refund policy may not be of much use.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply