Seal in Victorian Photograph.

A couple of years ago I purchased an old Victorian photograph of a small boy. In the bottom right hand corner is an unusual seal resembling an Oroborous. I have never seen a seal used in photography. Attatched is the photo in question. If anyone can shed any light on this seal I would be grateful.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think it's just a toy the boy is supposed to be playing with; some sort of a ball, he has a stick (maybe something like a small croquet mallet) in his hand. It would have been a studio "prop" most likely.

Looks like it is an "opalotype" - the image is printed on to milk glass, and enhanced with hand colouring. 1880-1910 ish. Supposed to be "rare" but as far as I am concerned, it seemed to be quite popular in Australia - probably the rarity comes from the fragility - obviously they are very fragile and easily cracked / broken. I have bought and sold quite a few in my time; have a nice example in another house, and my husband's great-grandparents had several matching portraits in this medium. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have not had the back off the portrait so I presumed it was just an old photo. Its measurements are 40cm by 30cm. At the rear of the photograph is a wire stand attatched to the back. It was designed to sit on a piece of furniture, perhaps a table of some sort. It has no hanging hooks etc, only the stand.

The reason I purchased it is the boy looked very familiar, like I had seen that image before somewhere. It is at odds with the stuff I usually buy from antique shops etc.

I really do not want to remove the back as it looks like it has not been removed before.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

It's called an easel frame / stand, designed as you say to stand upright. It is a type of old photograph. I would agree there is no point in removing it from the frame - always best to keep these things original if you can. Enjoy.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Every now and again I come across something and buy it. Often there is a small mystery attached to some of the things I buy. I am not sure how much sense thi makes but some things I see seem to "call me" and I may look at most things in a shop but go back to the one item that originally took my interest. I do not sell these things, they have places but knowing a little about them really helps.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply